horncups.com

PHC Horn Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:11 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Reynolds Pottag Horns
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:02 pm 

Hi
Have any of you out there experience of the Reynolds Pottag Horn? I played one at THs house a few years back and fell in love. After much searching on the net I have just imported a 1956 one from the USA - totally original with just a few tiny dings, strange "honeyed" lacquer and really good valve compression. OK the thumb valve position is designed for a gorilla but having owned so many horns over my years as a serious amateur player this horn has the most wonderfully focussed medium bore sound. Just wondering if anyone else has any views.

Post subject: Re: Reynolds Pottag Horns
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:02 pm 

I haven't played one myself, but I've always enjoyed listening to players who use Pottags - they always seem to give a very sonorous and ringing sound quality.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:30 pm 

Played one back in high school. Nice round sound, good dynamic range (easy to get "veiled" softs and did not break up at loud dynamics), not the most agile.
Overall, a good horn, but not what I would play today (personal preference).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:10 am 

Nick Busch played a nickel silver Reynolds double horn on 1st horn in the LPO for some time. He sounded fantastic. The LPO section used them for several years before switching to Yamahas. Does anyone know when this was?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:56 am 

LPO I imagine used Reynolds through 70s and 80s. Reynolds actually went out of business in 1979.
The Pottag model was very early and is actually a medium bore yellow brass instrument whilst the short lived Chambers Model (later the Contempora) was a much larger bore and for a time had a heavyweight bell.
I also have a 1964 Contempora which, although not badged as a Chambers, appears to have the heavyweight bell.
I agree about Nick Busch - he sounded wonderful on his Reynolds which I understand he purchased under advice from Solti and because it was much cheaper than an 8D. However I guess he would have sounded wonderful on a hosepipe.
Of all the medium bore horns that I have ever owned I think the Pottag has the most wonderful sound - really warm and full of overtones and excellent at all dynamics. I am so pleased to have picked up a virtually untouched one.
The NiSi Contempora is also lovely - especially for low playing.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:52 am 

I heard that it was George Szell not Solti who told Nick to go and get a large nickel-silver horn. At that time the Cleveland Orchestra horn section were playing nickel Conn 8Ds.
I don't think it was the cheapness of the Reynolds that was the attraction, simply that in the mid-1960s you couldn't get a Conn 8D in any of the London horn shops other than by special order, but ( I think) Bill Lewington used to stock Reynolds.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:01 am 

Its nice to see such a lot of enthusiasm and follow-up's to this 'Reynolds Thread'.... (NOT :roll: ).

If anybody out there has got even a glimmer of interest, there looks like a nice one here:

http://www.halsteadmusic.co.uk/shop/pro ... cts_id=782

I might even give it a try myself, :geek: hoping it has a warmer sound than the horrible nickle silver model! :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:34 pm 

Each to their own then!
I still think the Pottag has a better sound than all the other Med horns I have owned (including Alex 90, Schneider (B and H) 103 copy and two Yamaha customs)
And the fact that it cost me a comfortable 3 figure amount................ in fact nowhere near 4 figures :-))
Must say i havent tried a yellow brass large bore Reynolds.
Go on - give it a go - you might just like it.

PS - started this thread when it looked as though this forum might close. As the people in my village have learnt about the village pub - use it or lose it!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:37 pm 

I stand corrected it was Szell who suggested to N Busch to try a large bore silver horn - and I gather Nick was very happy that the Reynolds was cheaper than an 8D.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:44 pm 

I'm having a laugh at the idea of Nick Busch following the advice of George "screaming eagle" Solti on anything... their mutual hatred of each other was legendary in London... (rofl)