horncups.com

PHC Horn Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Is Ed Gardner a bigger S H I T than Mark Elder?
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:49 pm 
Site Admin

I have found myself wondering whether the commonly held belief that Mark the Elder is the biggest s h i t amongst the current shower of maestri is still true. Ed the Gardner has slipped under the radar quietly and craftily and those in the know, at ENO for example, are of the opinion that Ed the Gardner is a bigger s h i t than Mark the Elder who was all powerful there a couple of decades ago. I found myself thinking about this as I walked my dogs in the woods this morning and decided to ask what horn players who are exposed to these two not funny jokers think. I think it possible that Ed the Gardner has climbed to the top of the pile of s h i t conductors but would be intrigued to hear what current horn players think. I am very relieved not to have to see either of those not funny jokers ever again. :shock:

Post subject: Re: Is Ed Gardner a bigger S H I T than Mark Elder?
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:03 pm 

Don't know about these two (entirely fictional, of course) individuals, but I am sure we can all think of conductors who are a bit of a cult ("n" instead of "l").

I do recall some affable ones, though, e.g. Norman del Mar - any coincidence that he was a horn player......? Incidentally, I remember him doing an amusing impression of howTommy Beecham would have conducted.

Post subject: Re: Is Ed the Gardner a bigger S H I T than Mark the Elder?
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:09 pm 
Site Admin

When you try to write shirt, as in so and so is a s h i t, this forum changes it to s h i r t which is frustrating. Normand del Mar must have been a nightmare as a 2nd horn playing the 2nd horn part from the full score which is what he did apparently. He must have been turning pages instead of playing.

Try it, shirt. :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:36 pm 

Yes Ed the Gardner is the bigger s h i t of the two but it is close.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:28 pm 

I can't really comment, as I haven't worked with either in a long time, but I was recently hearing about Mr Gardner's constant bullying and harassing of a very fine member of the ENO orchestra that, in any other line of work, would have had him before a tribunal. It will be interesting to see what happens when a British musician finally takes a conductor to the appropriate body for workplace harrassment.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:53 pm 

Do the members of the Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra know what they have let themselves in for? They should be warned but who speaks Norwegian? They could push him into a fjord.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:06 pm 

Will wrote:
Do the members of the Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra know what they have let themselves in for? They should be warned but who speaks Norwegian? They could push him into a fjord.

The members of the Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra need to know how Ed Gardner operates. He doesn't attack the whole orchestra but just singles out one individual who is then harassed and intimidated on a regular basis. This sends out a warning signal of 'this is what I can do so just hope that I don't have a go at you'. This works very well and the other members of the orchestra keep quiet and sit and watch their colleague being humiliated but stay silent out of a fear of becoming the next victim. Obviously Ed Gardner must have personal problems and insecurities to behave in this way but the word seems to be getting round and they say he is not snowed under with offers of work. He isn't the first young conductor to behave in this childish and petulant way and probably won't be the last.

My advice is to avoid him at all costs. Don't be surprised to find that his behaviour as a guest conductor is totally in line and OK but just don't give him a job. :twisted:

Like all bullies he withers when confronted by anyone strong and confident but he will complain to the management behind your back. Bully and a coward?

Best wishes to the members of the Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra. A wan ker is heading your way! ;)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:38 pm 
Site Admin

Richard wrote:
Will wrote:

The members of the Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra need to know how Ed Gardner operates. He doesn't attack the whole orchestra but just singles out one individual who is then harassed and intimidated on a regular basis. This sends out a warning signal of 'this is what I can do so just hope that I don't have a go at you'. This works very well and the other members of the orchestra keep quiet and sit and watch their colleague being humiliated but stay silent out of a fear of becoming the next victim. Obviously Ed Gardner must have personal problems and insecurities to behave in this way but the word seems to be getting round and they say he is not snowed under with offers of work. He isn't the first young conductor to behave in this childish and petulant way and probably won't be the last.

My advice is to avoid him at all costs. Don't be surprised to find that his behaviour as a guest conductor is totally in line and OK but just don't give him a job. :twisted:

Like all bullies he withers when confronted by anyone strong and confident but he will complain to the management behind your back. Bully and a coward?

Best wishes to the members of the Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra. A wan ker is heading your way! ;)

I was told today how happy the orchestra at ENO are now that Ed the Gardner has left. He was still trying to get rid of players right until the end but without success thanks to strong resistance from the members of the orchestra who knew how to use the rules to their own advantage.

Good luck Bergen. This person tries to look normal and harmless but is a prize count apparently. :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:30 pm 

Bergen are well used to aunts.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:21 pm 

Has Ed Gardner started at Bergen yet? Have they worked out that he is a total aunt yet? :o