horncups.com

PHC Horn Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Is This Forum Past Its Sell-By Date?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:40 pm 
Site Admin

There are changes being made in the manufacture, marketing and management of PHC in 2014.

It would be helpful to know whether or not this forum has become outdated and unnecessary with the use of Facebook, Twitter and other social media outlets. If so we will pull the plug.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Is This Forum Past Its Sell-By Date?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:46 am 

I, for one, visit the forum every day in case there is something new to read. I occasionally start a topic for discussion or contribute to a discussion. There hasn't been much recently, but perhaps people have been busy or away from home over the festive period.

I'd be sorry to see this forum disappear. Let's all use it more. Putting my money where my mouth is, so to speak, I'm about to post a new topic elsewhere on the forum.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:29 am 

Another vote to keep the forum. I use things like Facebook, but they are different. I don't think anything else replaces the online forum type of function and I would really miss this if it went away.
Just one example: a while back my daughter was looking to move from her large bore Paxman to the medium bore equivalent. Through seeing a post here, I was able to put her in touch with someone thinking of the exact opposite move, and after a trial period they did a deal to swap permanently. I can't think of any other mechanism that would have got them in touch so easily.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:27 am 
Site Admin

Sandy wrote:
Another vote to keep the forum. I use things like Facebook, but they are different. I don't think anything else replaces the online forum type of function and I would really miss this if it went away.
Just one example: a while back my daughter was looking to move from her large bore Paxman to the medium bore equivalent. Through seeing a post here, I was able to put her in touch with someone thinking of the exact opposite move, and after a trial period they did a deal to swap permanently. I can't think of any other mechanism that would have got them in touch so easily.

That is excellent news and very helpful and positive feedback.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:59 pm 

I think that this is a very helpful and valuable forum not only for new/current topics but, as Sandy has pointed out, for the past several years of archived discussions!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:46 pm 

Hello,
I just want to say I have found the forum very helpful and would be sad if it was not there. Although I do not visit much when I have needed advice - including buying a horn for my daughter, a student paxman mouthpiece, paxman hornstick, a neill sanders wide rim mouthpiece (ready for when she gets a brace), and a mute! and advice about cases and horn care and cleaning; you have all been very helpful and I am grateful.

I am not v fond of face book but would use it if this forum didnt exist. I do also look at relevant topics which have been previously discussed.

Also I love your sense of humour and amusing posts - some are hilarious! It is great to hear a very lively and enthusiastic group, and as at my daughters age (13) horn players are not really plentiful - someone judging their junior band at a competition last year said they were glad to see the band had a horn as (horn players) are virtually extinct!

So hope the forum stays but if you went to facebook I would have no choice but to follow as it is very useful.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:08 am 

I too would be very sorry to see this forum disappear. I check in every day if I'm at home. It's a pity things are not a bit more lively here, but that is perhaps just a reflection of the nature of the membership.

As for Facebook, I am deeply mistrustful of it. It exists just as much to make money as to facilitate social intercourse, through the harvesting of personal details and targeted advertising. Though I check in frequently, it is as much to keep track of my second son's exploits (news, photos - he's an opera singer just starting out) as for anything else; I virtually never post anything.

A certain former frequent poster here has, it seems, abandoned this forum in favour of a Facebook group which he started up. I was a member of this, but it became tedious, due to its very limited scope. (Unless you're buying, selling, or swapping mouthpieces you'd have to be a real anorak to get anything out of it.)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:09 pm 

Without a doubt it still has a place and is appreciated.

Some of us don't enjoy all the modern alternatives, so until it becomes a complete pain in the pp posterior for you, I too would like it to continue.

There are periodically some good threads and it can also be very amusing at times.

Best Wishes & Many Thanks whatever you finally decide.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:55 pm 

I don't think the many young horn players who are or were, until recently, studying at one of the many music colleges need a forum. Some of them might make it into the profession and when they are older and have time to contribute and maybe share their wisdom then maybe they will find this place useful. Until then don't expect too much.

Remember there are those who give and those who just take and there always will be. 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:38 am 

No it is not IMHO. :!: