horncups.com

PHC Horn Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:25 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: UK player - buying abroad in person
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:40 am 

A long while ago when a certain member of this forum (who seemed to run off at one point to start a Facebook group) was fretting about which horn to get, I made the somewhat offhand comment that, if nothing in the UK appealed, then there are sellers of second-hand horns within reach of the UK on the continent.

I had occasion to put my advice into practice myself at the weekend.

The proprietor of Rimsky's Horns in Hilversum, the Netherlands, was offering a tempting instrument that I wouldn't have seriously considered (it being perhaps rather esoteric and pricey), were it not for the fact that the euro/pound exchange rate strongly favours the pound at the moment.

After messages were sent back and forth, I decided that though going out there was possibly a total waste of time, it was a risk that I would take, though I had a good feeling about the horn and the person selling it.

My wife thought it would be an interesting weekend and so it proved, but a very early start and a lot of driving were involved - over 600 miles in two days, as we decided to stay over the Saturday night. All those miles are not something I feel comfortable with, but perhaps I'm just getting old.

We were made very welcome in Hilversum, the instrument seemed good, we agreed a price and I got a horn in immaculate condition for €4000 - roughly £3200. I need to have it valued, but I'm expecting it to be in the region of £5000. The cost of the journey and hotel of course ate into the margin, but it was a somewhat madcap adventure that I think paid off. And it was a very interesting experience, including our stay in Antwerp.

Post subject: Re: UK player - buying abroad in person
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:26 pm 

I bet you bought either the Alexander 200 B/F or the Alexander 1103 B/F unless the Alexander 101 B/F caught your eye. I hadn't seen one of those before. Is there a Bb tuning slide on those horns?

I fancy the A.Jungwirth Vienna horn. They all look very nice.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:35 am 

"I bet you bought either the Alexander 200 B/F or the Alexander 1103 B/F unless the Alexander 101 B/F caught your eye."

I'm not an Alex fan, but I don't think anyone would describe the 200 or 1103 (very similar instruments) as esoteric - the 101 (large bore, I believe), possibly.

So no to all of those, fine horns though they may well be.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:24 pm 

It's good to see people "thinking outside of the box" when it comes to choosing instruments - more players in the UK should do this!

So what did you get?!...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:54 pm 

Paxman 76, about 15 years old, virtually unplayed it seems, as-new condition. Not a mark on it. Flawless lacquer.

Not everyone's cup of tea, of course.

I did say "esoteric".

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:06 pm 

That does sound like a good buy. I used a full triple as my main instrument for most of the naughties - you can have a lot of fun experimenting with alternative fingerings and different ways of playing things - enjoy!

Interestingly, there are some even more esoteric instruments on Rimsky's books at the moment...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:44 am 

Why not pop over if you're interested in something?

The Channel Tunnel is still cheaper than the ferries at this time of year. You then have 352 km (= 218 miles) to Hilversum. But you will need to get an early crossing to be at Hilversum in the middle of the day, with Continental time being one hour ahead. You may not want to come back the same day - it means a lot of driving.

Alternatively, go out the day before, stay the night somewhere near Hilversum, and return the next day.

Let me know if you want any advice.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:48 pm 

I've had a number of adventures visiting the continent to try out unusual horns over the years.
Which is why I now play on a Ricco Kuehn 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:48 pm 

Oops! Grandmother... eggs...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:24 pm 

Don't be 'too contrite..."
'Paul' didn't exactly give much information in his O.P. :roll: