horncups.com

PHC Horn Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:40 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Suitable cup for natural horn
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:02 pm 

I normally play on a 103 with AS rim and 23A cup - quite happy with that combination. Recently I have started playing natural horn in a chamber orchestra, and while it is working reasonably well, I wonder if a different cup, still with the AS rim, would be more effective for the natural horn - any advice as to what might be worth trying?

Post subject: Re: Suitable cup for natural horn
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:58 pm 

Sandy wrote:
I normally play on a 103 with AS rim and 23A cup - quite happy with that combination. Recently I have started playing natural horn in a chamber orchestra, and while it is working reasonably well, I wonder if a different cup, still with the AS rim, would be more effective for the natural horn - any advice as to what might be worth trying?

If your 23A fits and gets all the notes with a sound that you like why change?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:29 pm 

Will wrote:
If your 23A fits and gets all the notes with a sound that you like why change?

Sorry Will, I guess it was optimistic to assume that my question implied I wasn't entirely satisfied with the result. :roll:
I was rather hoping some of the experts here might be able to suggest something helpful, maybe along the lines of "this or that cup might have characteristics that could be more suitable, work better, help to get a more authentic sound" etc etc. Who knows, possibly even get a bit of jolly good natured banter going about the sort of sound you should be aiming for with hand horn, how best to achieve it - or whether it's all worth the effort?

I'll get me coat.....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:04 pm 

25A? a shade deeper (more like an original hand horn MP) and it's a good mouthpiece for tone.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:06 pm 

wilf2 wrote:
25A? a shade deeper (more like an original hand horn MP) and it's a good mouthpiece for tone.

I thought that might be worth trying, and I did have an old 25A at one time, but unfortunately I decided to have a clear-out and sold it through this forum to some guy called Halstead.......

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:01 am 

Thanks, Sandy, I still use the 25A as my 'default' cup for all playing, with a white acetal 'W' rim.
I bought your 25A cup because I had lost mine ( quite a few years ago).
It's very good for hand-horn playing as an 'all-rounder' but if you end up playing lots of C basso or Bb basso :( I recommend a 30, 30A or ( specially for Bb basso) 35.
On the other hand if you have to play 1st horn in high crooks such as A, Bb alto or C alto, a 21A or 20AX will help a lot. :D :geek:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:59 am 

Thanks Tony, that's the sort of view I was looking for. I won't be doing a huge amount of hand-horn, so an "all round" option like the 25A is probably the best bet at least to start with.
So, before I break out the credit card... anyone got one gathering dust, that they'd like to turn into a moderate amount of cash?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:57 pm 

Hi Sandy, Please read my e-mail.