horncups.com

PHC Horn Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Vienna horns
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:52 pm 
Site Admin

This isn't really very relevant but I played 2nd Horn in the LSO Mahler 2 video recording with Bernstein and vaguely remember that we did a concert performance and then some video editing where we were required to mime to the already recorded sound track so they could get some close ups of the horns. That section was playing mostly on Conn 8D and Kruspe horns with two Paxmans thrown in so no problems with unplayable notes. This is available on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdc5n562zZg

I think all but one of the players in this section are still alive which is good. :D

1) Jeff Bryant (Kruspe), 2) Tony Chidell (Conn 8D), 3) John Bimson (Conn 8D), 4) Patrick Garvey (Kruspe), 5) John Rooke (Conn 8D), 6) Joe Currie (Paxman) and Bob Noble (Paxman) on bumper horn.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:30 am 

Many thanks for that background information, Tony. Your Mahler 2 is on the same DVD 2-disc set as the Bernstein Mahler 3. I haven't yet watched the Mahler 2, but will do so with particular interest now and see if I can spot the bit where the horns are miming!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:59 am 

On the (somewhat off-topic) subject of miming, I mimed the 3rd horn part in the Elgar 'Cello Concerto in the film "Hilary and Jackie", with Emily Watson in the role of Jacqueline du Pre. This sequence, which was supposed to show a concert in Berlin in 1964, was filmed in St George's Hall in Liverpool. I remember thinking at the time that the "Exit" signs on the doors would be a giveaway and that either care would be taken that these were out of camera shot or that they would later be digitally altered to read "Ausgang". However, when I subsequently bought the DVD of the film I was amused to see "Exit" staring me in the face.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:58 pm 

The options of extendable-3rd-valve-slide, 3rd-valve-slide-extension and C-basso-quarter-valve are interesting.
The longer combination-crooks would give quite a different timbre to playing on a Bb single or the Bb side of a double horn.
The Beethoven & Brahms pedal Fs cited above were originally written for horns in Bb basso, so the extended-F-side sound would be more authentic (Bb-basso-combination-crook).
The extended-F-side approach would also be interesting for the Mahler pedal Es (A-basso-combination-crook) - much more menacing!

I wonder, are there any examples of similar extensions being added to the F-sides of double horns?!