horncups.com

PHC Horn Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:16 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Happy Birthday to Barry Tuckwell- 86 on 5th March 2017
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:15 pm 
Site Admin

Happy Birthday to Barry Tuckwell on Sunday 5th March 2017. Barry will be 86.

Barry Tuckwell is the best living horn player by a long way. There are probably horn players who think that they are as good as Barry or even better but they are wrong.

Any horn player who was lucky enough to work with Barry will know what I mean.

Post subject: Re: Happy Birthday to Barry Tuckwell- 86 on 5th March 2017
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:52 pm 

Couldn't agree more Tony, growing up as a young aspiring player listening to his recordings of Haydn concertos with Neville Marriner and the ASMF, the Leopold Mozart, the early Strauss concerto recordings with Kertesz, the Britten Serenade with Britten, that ridiculous Zelenka recording, and the phenomenal album of unheard of baroque concertos, to name but a few, his playing was such an inspiration. I only wish I'd heard him play live in the orchestra, the few recordings of his days in the LSO that I have sound very exciting, he must have been thrilling to sit alongside in a section. I heard him play concertos a couple of times towards the end of his career, and I've always found it difficult to explain to students just how all encompassingly huge his sound was as he filled a concert hall so effortlessly. What a great pity he's not still around in this country where he enjoyed most of his superb career, to pass on his wonderful knowledge and experience to the younger generation of players. I've only had the privilege of meeting him a couple of times, and he was the perfect gent, very friendly, modest, and encouraging.
Many Happy Returns Barry, and "Lang may yer lum reek!" as we say north of the border!