horncups.com

PHC Horn Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:13 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: RIP - Barry Tuckwell
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:51 pm 
Site Admin

Barry Tuckwell died today (16 January 2020).

Post subject: Re: RIP - Barry Tuckwell
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:37 pm 
Site Admin

Barry Emmanuel Tuckwell was born on March 5, 1931, in Melbourne. His father, Charles, was an organist, and his mother, Elizabeth (Norton) Tuckwell, played piano; his father and others in his extended family had perfect pitch, and so did he.

He tried his parents’ instruments as well as violin before a friend introduced him to the French horn when he was 13.

“It was an important age to find something,” he told People. “I was not bright academically, and I was on the verge of being a juvenile delinquent.”

Two years later he was playing the instrument in the Melbourne Symphony. He also played with the Victoria and Sydney symphonies in Australia before moving to England, where he performed with the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra before joining the London Symphony.

In a 1997 interview with The Times, Mr. Tuckwell credited an unexpected source with his ability to give a musical phrase a pleasing turn and to make a simple melody interesting: the jazz trombonist Tommy Dorsey.

“I played along with his records when I was a kid,” he said. “I’m proud to say I took lessons from Tommy Dorsey.”

As a soloist, Mr. Tuckwell played some 200 concerts a year. In 1978 he performed at Avery Fisher Hall in Manhattan during the Mostly Mozart Festival. A young man questioned him at length afterward, holding up a line of well-wishers.

“He wanted to know the secret,” Mr. Tuckwell explained to a reporter who had noticed the exchange, “and there isn’t any secret. It’s in the head, not in the lips.”

Mr. Tuckwell recorded almost everything in the classical French horn repertoire, and added to that repertoire by unearthing unknown or incomplete works for the horn, finishing those that needed finishing. But he also made efforts to push the French horn into the popular-music arena. In 1979 he and the pianist Richard Rodney Bennett recorded “A Sure Thing: Music of Jerome Kern.” In 1986 came “George Shearing and Barry Tuckwell Play the Music of Cole Porter.”

In 1994 he surprised the journalist Jim Lehrer and his wife, Kate, by agreeing to their out-of-the-blue request that he perform at their daughter’s wedding.

“I had never played for a wedding before, but I phoned up and said, ‘Why not?’” Mr. Tuckwell told The Times. “I will play the usual appropriate wedding music: the Trumpet Voluntary, the Mendelssohn ‘Wedding March’ and ‘I’ve Got You Under My Skin.’”

Mr. Tuckwell, who lived at various times in Australia, England and the United States, retired from performing in 1997. His final program, played in Baltimore, included Oliver Knussen’s Horn Concerto, which was written for him and which he had given its premiere in Tokyo in 1994, with Mr. Knussen conducting.

Mr. Tuckwell’s survivors include his fourth wife, Jenny Darling, and three children, David, Jane and Tom.

Though Mr. Tuckwell was known for making difficult musical passages look easy, he was less impressed by flashy horn playing than he was by expressiveness.

“There are a lot of people who can play loud and fast,” he told The Times in 1978. “But it is still very difficult to play one note. In fact, I would like to institute a competition — although I don’t like them — in which each participant would be asked to play only one note. The length, the dynamics would be up to the player.”

“It would be a good exercise,” he added, “for the judge, too.”

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:42 pm 
Site Admin

TonyC wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:53 pm 
Site Admin

TonyC wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:44 am 
Site Admin

TonyC wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:04 pm 
Site Admin

TonyC wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:57 pm 
Site Admin

TonyC wrote:

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 10:53 pm 
Site Admin

TonyC wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:43 pm 
Site Admin

TonyC wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:04 am 
Site Admin

TonyC wrote: