It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: PHC Custom Shop
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:26 pm 

The answer to our prayers!

Post subject: Re: PHC Custom Shop
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:05 pm 
Site Admin

This new service will be called the PHC Custom Shop.

For all PHC custom products please contact Mike Bosley at mikesmusicltd@hotmail.com

You have asked us for many different custom mouthpieces over the years and we will be making these ideas and designs available to everyone through our new Custom Shop.

It took us a while to work out the best way to do this as the regular PHC range is already as big as it is possible to manage and stock, so the PHC Custom Shop concept seemed to be the best way to approach this.

The custom mouthpieces which will be available through the Custom Shop from the start will include

PHC 'E taper' shank 'Z' cups, stainless steel PHC cups, PHC 4.50mm custom bore 22 & 23 cups, custom Paxman PHC compatible rims and, eventually, PHC Natural Horn Cups.

HornCups UK Ltd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:35 am 

Stainless steel?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:13 am 
Site Admin

Sandra wrote:
Stainless steel?

Yes, stainless steel. We were asked to do this by a very good horn player a few years ago and have finally got round to making some which have gone to Frankfurt. A sort of advance party before the main invasion. We know what has been said about stainless steel mouthpieces for brass section instruments (http://www.gwmouthpieces.com/testimonials.html) so we thought it would be interesting to see if they work on the horn and what they are like to play. If they are good then that's great. If they don't work then we have found that out.

There will also be stainless steel PHC rims at Frankfurt and, just to give you a bigger jump, we have made some PHC cups out of Titanium and also Bell Bronze. Try not to choke on your cornflakes Sandra. :o

Titanium is ultra hard and ultra light so we anticipate that these cups could help produce an ultra bright sound for them 'at likes it.

Bell Bronze is the alloy they make church bells out of, which is probably obvious. Bell bronze is very hard and provides a special tone to bells that no other alloy can match. It is 80% copper to 20% tin and we are interested to see if it affects the sound of a horn in the other direction, i.e. towards a very heavy, dark sound. We will see. Gotta try these things and have some fun. Life is so short. ;)

Tony C for PHC

HornCups UK Ltd

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:06 am 

I like your philosophy, TonyC. Just when I thought I'd bought my last mouthpiece . . . All these fun materials to try!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:37 pm 

When will the shop open??? I already have a few orders to place...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:16 pm 
Site Admin

The "PHC Custom Shop" will be accessed through a new web page on this site which is being designed and will open when we have made enough custom PHC cups and rims to make the concept feasible. If you know what you want please contact us at PHC@horncups.com or info@horncups.com and please put "PHC Custom Shop" in the e-mail subject header.

We have already had orders from horn players who were at the Frankfurt Music Trade Fair. The German spec mouthpieces requested by the horn players in Frankfurt will have a rim ID of 18.00mm and a rim width of 3.75mm (I think, I will check and confirm this). They also want smaller bore sizes starting at 4.00mm and working up to 4.50mm.

The stainless steel cups and rims are very good. I have ordered custom PHC "25" cups in stainless steel, titanium and bell bronze for my own use. The titanium and bell bronze cups I am trying at the moment are "22A" cups and are very interesting to play and both have a very different sound and feel. Tony Halstead will be trying these new cups (in stainless steel, titanium and bell bronze) in his chosen "25A" cup size very soon.

Please remember that the standard range of PHC cups and rims is available from Paxman as usual. The Custom Shop mouthpieces are in addition to the standard range.

The PHC Natural Horn Cups are not right yet and will take more time until they are ready to try out. There are three superb players of the natural horn who have been asked to try these cups when they are ready and they have agreed. Thanks folks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:24 pm 
Site Admin

This is from the PHC Custom Shop leaflet which was on the stand at Frankfurt.

"New for 2010 - PHC Custom Shop

Our ever-increasing professional customer base is having an active input into the design and introduction of new PHC products. When we design a new product with a player we then make extra stock of that item. This means that everyone has access to our Custom Shop mouthpieces - which are in effect requests and ideas from the horn community. In this way, PHC development is driven by professional horn players and designs are relevant to market need.

Custom Shop mouthpieces are available at our Custom Shop prices to cover the cost of the smaller machining runs and design work.

Individual custom products
To have a cup or rim copied or modified for use with a PHC product a standard charge is payable in addition to the cost of the product to cover measuring, digitisation and production set up. This is a once-only charge after which further stocks can be ordered at the standard custom shop price.

PHC E Taper Shanks
Many European-made horns, such as those made by Alexander, have a slightly different taper on their mouthpiece receiver. Although PHC have never had a compatibility problem, many players have asked us to supply European tapers on PHC cups. We are now able to supply any Z cup with the E taper from stock. This allows the mouthpiece to fit into the European taper a little less far down and improves the fit where the mouthpiece meets the mouthpipe. It is reported that this has a marked difference on intonation and playing characteristics.

PHC 4.50mm custom bores
PHC 22A & 23A mouthpieces are now available with a 4.50mm bore (number 16 drill). This is slightly tighter than a standard PHC mouthpiece and is to cater for playing styles that require a more resistive mouthpiece, assisting the player in producing a more precise and controlled sound. Players also report less fatigue when playing for long periods of time.

Custom PHC Compatible Rims
Following requests from professional horn players we now have a limited stock of our own PHC versions of Paxman-style rims designated 4, 3 and 2, which will guarantee a perfect fit with all PHC cups.

Stainless Steel
A world first for PHC! We are pleased to announce that following a careful development program, prototypes of PHC cups have now been produced in surgical grade stainless steel."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:30 am 

Are there 'general' price indications for these types of custom work?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:51 am 

TonyC wrote:
The titanium and bell bronze cups I am trying at the moment are "22A" cups and are very interesting to play and both have a very different sound and feel.

Do tell!