horncups.com

PHC Horn Forum
It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:17 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: PHC Custom Shop
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:41 am 

Quote:
We are now able to supply any Z cup with the E taper from stock.

I'm in the market for a couple of E taper mouthpieces - are ONLY Z cups
avaliable?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:53 pm 
Site Admin

Expatriate wrote:
I'm in the market for a couple of E taper mouthpieces - are ONLY Z cups avaliable?

We made a full range of E taper Z Cups for Frankfurt so those should be available.

You can have anything you want. I don't know the prices yet or the order time and will hope to be able to give better information as soon as I know. We are supplying BRASSERIE HAMBURG with the full range of PHCs and I am sure they will want E taper cups in standard and Z.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:08 pm 

How does the wall thickness and mass of the E-taper cups compare to the standard taper cups? Is the internal shape of the backbore the same?

Background to my question: I have recently observed that the four PHC 24As I own all sit at slightly different depths in the receiver. The range of depths is about 1 mm. Upon closer inspection, this seems to be due to small variations (10s of um only) in the wall thickness of the shank giving rise to variation in the outer diameter. The sound and response produced by each cup is slightly different and for each horn that I own there is one of the four mouthpieces that is best suited.

In this case, it is not possible to decouple the effects due to wall thickness and receiver fit, but my observations are consistent with the hypothesis that both are important effects. The thicker walled cups (sitting higher in the receiver) give a slightly fuller and smoother sound, the thinner walled cups (sitting lower) are lighter and more colourful. I'm only talking about very small differences but the effects are noticable to blind listeners.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:52 pm 
Site Admin

Paul wrote:
"How does the wall thickness and mass of the E-taper cups compare to the standard taper cups? Is the internal shape of the backbore the same?

Background to my question: I have recently observed that the four PHC 24As I own all sit at slightly different depths in the receiver. The range of depths is about 1 mm. Upon closer inspection, this seems to be due to small variations (10s of um only) in the wall thickness of the shank giving rise to variation in the outer diameter."

These differences are possibly the result of PHCs being made by four different machine companies over the years and more recently an expensive upgrade to new CNC lathes.

We are standardising all the shank specifications at this exact moment in time. Our machinists have been investing in new machinery and now own £1,000,000 worth to make your next PHC 24A. HornCups UK Ltd have invested £36,000 so far in 2010 to give you better mouthpieces so these are exciting times for you as a collector of 24A cups and for us in our quest to make better mouthpieces and an even more interesting variety of cups and rims in a greater choice of metals.

We are building up our stocks of PHCs and welcome any and all feedback from horn players.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:43 am 

Thanks for your reply Tony. To be clear, my comments are not critical. A good CNC machine tolerance is +/- 50 um (100 um total), which on an interference fit taper at approx 10:1 gives a depth range of about 1 mm. All mouthpieces will have this variation. :geek:

However, my question is about the differences between the standard taper and the E-taper. I guess the E-taper requires a different wall thickness profile? Does this mean that E-taper cups are lighter or heavier than standard, or is the mass compensated elsewhere in the design?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:37 pm 
Site Admin

E taper cups have a slightly wider shank to fit Alexander mouthpipes with a backbore to blend into the mouthpiece receiver in the mouthpipe. I haven't thought about a difference in weight. The internal and external cups shapes are the same so it's possible that the weights of a standard PHC 24A and an E taper 24A are slightly different unless we are asked specifically for a particular weight.

Shallow PHC cups like the 20AX have the same external shape as a 25 deep cup but as the cup is shallower there is more metal left in the cup so a shallow cup will be heavier than a deep cup.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:17 pm 
Site Admin

This is a good photo of some of our stock of PHCs

http://www.mikesmusic.co.uk/PHC/PHC%20s ... 20500k.jpg

More information and players' reviews about the stainless steel cups, stainless steel rims, the titanium cups and the bell bronze cups to be posted soon.

The new transparent plastic Crystalite rims will be available through the PHC Custom Shop as well, very soon. These are very smooth, similar to a brand new gold plated rim in feel, but not metal. They are hard wearing and bounce if dropped.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:13 am 

TonyC wrote:
The new transparent plastic Crystalite rims will be available through the PHC Custom Shop as well, very soon. These are very smooth, similar to a brand new gold plated rim in feel, but not metal. They are hard wearing and bounce if dropped.

But do they also come in a range of fashion colours?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:19 am 

;)
:lol:
You'd better get a KELLY
http://www.kellymouthpieces.com/ if you wanta coloured
mouthpiece!
The big problem is that they are c##p....!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:49 am 
Site Admin

"But do they also come in a range of fashion colours?"

Probably not. The transparent Crystalite rims are good and are more like the smooth feeling 'old' black PHC rims. We stopped making those because they were a nightmare to make. As soon as they were even touched by the polisher to give them a nice finish they changed profile. For this reason most 'old' black PHC rims are unique and if they were to be lost by a fond owner would not be easy to replace with a modern PHC rim, exactly the same. Owners of 'old' black PHC rims should have them copied in Crystalite. That's just our suggestion.

Kelly plastic mouthpieces are just a gaily coloured (colored) gimmick.