Post subject: PHC Z CUPS
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:19 am 
Site Admin

Paxman Musical Instruments Limited
Linton House, 164-180 Union Street, London SE1 0LH
Tel: 020 7620 2077 Fax: 020 7620 1688
E-mail: info@paxman.co.uk

PHC Z CUPS

In the Autumn of 2000 we decided to instigate a special project for 2001, PHC’s 30th anniversary year, and over the following months a “special edition” range of PHC cups was planned, researched and developed. Our aim was to enhance the excellent qualities of the PHC horn mouthpiece, in much the same way that some car manufacturers produce a high performance version of an existing model.

We now offer the PHC Z Cup to the discerning horn player who is looking for an even more sensitive response from a mouthpiece. This enhanced resonance and sensitivity has been achieved by a unique super-annealing process, de-stressing the molecular structure of the engraved brass cup prior to plating.

A remarkable feature of the Z Cup is that it will “play in” over a period of time. One of its several attractive playing characteristics is its instant response to the softest tongue action or the lightest impulse of breath. Furthermore, it displays an ability to create more clearly defined pitch “slots” in the high register, whether tongued or slurred.

Because of the painstaking, sophisticated engineering techniques involved in the production of the Z cup, initial supplies are limited.

Our eventual goal is to make the entire range of PHC cups available in both original and Z versions, but to launch these “supercups” we have selected several of the most popular PHC cups in the mid-range from 21A to 25. Of course the original standard range of PHC cups continues to be available.

We have always believed in the strength and success of the PHC design. We now feel confident that our new PHC Z Cups will find favour with many horn players.

PHC mouthpieces are designed by Anthony Halstead and Anthony Chidell, Directors of HornCups UK Ltd.

Post subject: Re: PHC Z CUPS
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:34 pm 

These sound very interesting on paper & I'd be interested to try one out.
A few questions if I may?:
1. Do the z-cups have a screw or fixed rim?
2. Are the rims interchangable with old PHC mouthpieces?
3. I actually play on the traditional Paxman 4B with a No.4 rim. Would this fit onto the new z-cup?
4. If not what size would I need as I'd obviously want to keep things pretty much as they are.
5. Is 'Z-Cup' some sort of dream forfillment joke?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:31 am 
Site Admin

1. Screw rim.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.
4. N/A
5. ..........."some sort of dream forfillment joke?" I don't understand your question.

Z cups have been available in the UK since 2001 and many horn players are using them.

Wichita are unsure whether to stock them or not and we will make them aware that they are being used by horn players in New York and will send them some Z cups with their next order. Our guess is that they will sell.

The biggest problem we have had is that they tend to sell out quickly when a batch of new "Z" cups are delivered to Paxman in London.

Tony C for PHC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:00 pm 

Hi Tony,
Like most quips if it's not got instantly it becomes unfunny so don't wory about it.

Hope you're well and thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:55 pm 

Will PHC's new Z cups have a screw thread that fits old rims? My screw thread gets stuck if I'm not careful. Is there a way to stop it getting stuck?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:55 am 

Quote:
Is there a way to stop it getting stuck?

1) Lubricate it with a MINUTE quantity of vaseline
2) Buy the rim and cup simultaneously and ask the guys in paxmans to check it out before they send it to you!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:32 pm 

Philhorn wrote:
Like most quips if it's not got instantly it becomes unfunny so don't wory about it.

I disagree...5 months later and I just got the joke...and a laugh too. :lol: Although one might think anything past the middle of the alphabet changes from a dream to a nightmare. Especially if you have seen a particular Woody Allen flick.

I am still sitting on the fence about the Z cups. I understand the theory, but am persuaded, not convinced. Any objective input from Z users please?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:53 am 

Quote:
Any objective input from Z users please?

The only objective things that can be said about a Z cup are
1) It's made of brass (of a particular composition, as we know, there is yellow brass, gold brass, rose brass, raw brass, unleaded brass, even nickel silver is a type of brass, and there are probably several others.
2) It is heated to a very high temperature (for how long? is it a trade secret?)
3) It is cooled ( slowly? quickly? how and by what agent?)
4) It emerges from the process in a very soft state, so, don't drop it!
5) It used to be rhodium-plated but it is now silver plated.
6) It's more expensive than a normal PHCV cup but not as expensive as e.g. a Moosewood, Lawson or Stork equivalent. :geek:

Now for the SUBjective stuff
1) You can play VERY quietly on it
2) The 'spaces' for the high register seem wider
3) It doesn't give quite such a loud 'FFF' as an ordinary PHC cup
4) In its heavy-cup version you can play louder, though with a lot of effort. :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:48 am 

Tom, thank-you for your comments. By 'objective' I meant that I was seeking opinions from people who do not stand to profit from the sale of the item. I think the accounting term is "non-interested party." But to use that phrase would have been even more ambiguous. I certainly trust the PHC owners, but it is useful to hear from the actual users of a product.

If I may bother you for more information, I am not sure what you mean by wider 'spaces' between notes. I have heard the words 'centered' and 'slotted' before. Is it similar?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:53 am 

All this time and only one person besides Tony C can offer an opinion about Z cups? This is a PHC forum, isn't it? I am wondering whether they are really any different. Some guesses:
1. By sheer coincidence, none of the some 95 registered members of the forum owns a Z cup.
2. They are indeed as rare as is said.
3. They are not rare, but nobody actually uses them regularly. (doubtful)
4. They are called 'Z' cups because they cause a permanent sleep similar to a coma in their owners.
5. All you Brits are spending the whole of your available online time watching YouTube videos of Susan Boyle. :P