Post subject: Re: sore
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:20 am 

Try this website. http://duffchops.com/Index.html

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:40 pm 

Ahh, just the job. thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:33 pm 

Very amusing IanF and Ted Chance (who coyly avoids mentioning on that web site that he is the one and only, 'original' Mr DuffChops , but it doesnt' help the poor horn player who has really got a genuine, perennial problem with his/ her 'duff chops' does it?
:roll: :evil:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:54 am 

well, it might make them feel better - laughter as best medicine etc. It's done my chops the world of good.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:06 am 

KevinF wrote:
Very amusing IanF and Ted Chance (who coyly avoids mentioning on that web site that he is the one and only, 'original' Mr DuffChops , but it doesnt' help the poor horn player who has really got a genuine, perennial problem with his/ her 'duff chops' does it?
:roll: :evil:

On the contrary, I think it can. There are several ways to deal with a problem, one of which is to realise that you aren't alone with it and that it is possible to see the lighter side of any situation.

The DuffChps site also mentions (albeit in a jokey way) the concept of the psychological effect on the embouchure.

I'm a motorcyclist. One of the first things bikers learn is that if you want to avoid hitting something, don't look at it. Focus on that tree in the middle of a bend and that is exactly what you will hit. But it's no good thinking, "I mustn't look at the tree. I mustn't look at the tree. I mustn't look at the tree." All that does is make you look at the tree! No, you focus on the exit of the bend, which is the whole object. I think horn playing is similar. My teacher, Sydney Coulston, used to say hornplaying is 99% in the player's head (he also once said I was mentally retarded but that's another story!). Tom, as long as your embouchure isn't giving you serious pain I would suggest trying to ignore what it feels like. Don't look at the tree. Focus on something else. The music. The pitches in your head. They are what are important.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:26 am 

Ther is nothing remotely funny about an embouchure problem for a professional
player. It can end careers, ruin lives, and in extreme cases worse.

Don't even think about telling me to lighten up or the like ............I have too many
friends who have succumbed............read the horror stories in Cindy Lewis' book.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:37 am 

Chris wrote:
Ther is nothing remotely funny about an embouchure problem for a professional
player. It can end careers, ruin lives, and in extreme cases worse.

Don't even think about telling me to lighten up or the like ............I have too many
friends who have succumbed............read the horror stories in Cindy Lewis' book.

I wasn't aware that I was thinking about telling you to lighten up.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:52 am 

Good. I don't take kindly to people who attempt to trivialise chronic illness.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:03 am 

And I don't take kindly to being looked down on with a dim view from a high horse.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:27 am 

Since it was my duff chops that started this, can I suggest we draw a line under it now? I have a good (pro) friend who is now a 2nd/ 4th after a career as 1st/3rd because of an accident, much expenditure on microsurgery, etc. etc. so I know the state of the lip is a very serious matter, as I'm sure does IanF.

The psychology tip is a good one, and I think this is where the serious value lies in 'Duffer's' site. Not many people know this, but I used to be a marksman as a boy and like KevinF's motorcycling, that was surprisingly good for my hornplaying.

must get on with some work...

Tom