horncups.com

PHC Horn Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: B flat slides
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:43 am 

So there really is some truth in the old saying "It's better to be sharp than out of tune."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:14 am 

Yes, and the euphemism "sounds a shade bright" can avert possible handbags at dawn
in sections comprising sensitive/touchy players.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:02 am 

Johnlovemusic: You said earlier "the horns and trumpets in less experienced groups are often as much as a whole step higher than they should be." How do they do that? Notes will bend only so much. Are they going to the next harmonic and simply totally missing the notes? Perhaps I do not understand what you mean by "whole step."

Along the lines of tuning and intonation, how does somebody with perfect pitch adjust to different A= values?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:45 pm 

In answer to your question from over the page, I think everyone regardless of ability tends to go sharp when they're straining. I just think that most pros start to strain later than students and weekend warriors because they've trained the relevant muscles and they are wise to the dangers.

Alternatively, when you play loud it does tend to give a more accurate sense of the pitch of your instrument because you tend to play in the middle of the note because it is the point of least resistance. If you are playing quietly whilst tuning a horn then the notes are susceptible to bending with the lip if they are not where your ear expects them.

I would imagine that a group of high school kids would be chomping at the bit to play as loud as physically possible in FFCM so I think that accounts for that one.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:30 am 

Eric,
Yes. I did mean a whole step - so yes they are on the incorrect harmonic.

I like Jeremy's statement. I think Jeremy is right on regarding weekend warriors vs professionals. (of course there are exceptions on both levels there) I don't do this much but my friend David starts playing "D" 3rd valve when he starts getting tired. That's one I remember well, he has other fingerings for other notes as he gets tired and finds himself sort of pinching.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:34 am 

Is it wrong to use the 3rd valve option for D? I have checked it on the box, and the intonation is fine. I do it often, especially in the key of D, as it is often smoother fingering when moving to or from C# in rapid passages. The same for A to G#.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:14 am 

Eric there is no "wrong" fingering on the horn, what is wrong is to not use the full range
available.
I'm not criticising you but I would be wary about "tuners". Apart from checking the
basic pitch of an unfamiliar horn your ear is the best tuner on the market!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:05 am 

Chris, I take your comment as a compliment. And you have never heard me play!

I actually do rely on my ear entirely while with a group. But I like to use the electronic tuner to get the best setup I can going in. No need to add to the challenge. On the subject, I would like to repeat a question that was not answered a while back. I have on note (bottom space F) that is very sharp on both sides of the horn. Its 'deviance' is outside the range that I consider to be intuitively adjusted by the "best tuner on the market." In other words, I have to intentionally, consciously, tune the note. Generally speaking, is it better to flatten it with the hand or the lip? Adjusting the F horn first slide whacks out every other note that uses the first valve.

Last edited by Eric on Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:21 am 

I very often play it 2/3 on B flat side if it's a long note - don't like "lipping" notes in
general, prefer the hand but that's just me!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:33 am 

I just tried the 2/3 Bb fingering. It works! Where do I send the payment? Thanks too for the opinion about hand vs. embouchure for tuning. I lean that way too. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next