horncups.com

PHC Horn Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:52 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: B flat slides
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:49 am 

Allan, would you mind giving the rest of us illogical folk a step-by-step set of instructions making it clear how, if you tune your F side first, you would go about getting the Bb side to match up with it on a horn which, as Will asks, has no separate Bb tuning slide?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:06 pm 

here we go: Tune the F horn using the F tuning slide (usually round the back).
Next, tune the B flat horn using the MAIN slide which in effect is the Bb slide. Whichever direction you move the Bb slide, qualify it by moving the F slide approximately 125% IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION.
E.g. you are flat on the Bb horn, push it in to where the tuning note (C above middle C?) agrees with the tuning machine, if 1 centimeter then pull out the F slide by 1.25 centimeters. Alternatively, if you are sharp on the Bb horn, pull out the main (Bb really) slide X cm and push in the F slide by X cm x 125%.
I don't know why I am being asked to explain this very simple procedure. Perhaps we could discuss something rather more intellectually challenging than something that most competent horn players can do even when they are either half-inebriated or half-asleep!
:roll:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:12 pm 

In the case of horns that do not have specific tuning slides for the Bb side: Everybody else I know tunes the Bb side first using the main slide, then the F side using only the F-side tuning slide.

Allan, why the hostility in this and other posts???

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:38 am 

Eric, be careful what you say, he is a very distinguished english player and you should
be grateful that he is giving out this information. The top pros in London go to Allan
for lessons when they have problems. No I'm not joking.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:43 am 

Dear LFC,
For your information, the system I suggested, for tuning a Geyer-model horn in the rare instance that e.g. a very conservative player of the school that uses the F horn for everything except the top octave, was requested from me by Tim
Quote:
Allan, would you mind giving the rest of us illogical folk a step-by-step set of instructions

in a posting which should be perfectly visible further up the page.
As it happens, I certainly don't think it's the best way to tune a horn without a B flat tuning slide. :roll:

As regards your absurd and mischievous remarks about me, my playing 'status' and my pupils, I can only think that you must be one of the renegades from the 'bad old forum', the trouble-causers who were mostly responsible for that board having to be shut down and replaced by this one.
What gives you the right to make a public posting telling the other members of the forum that I am
Quote:
a very distinguished english player

and that
Quote:
The top pros in London go to Allan
for lessons when they have problems.
:?:

For your information, and also to put the record straight for the benefit of other readers of these messages from whom lies and deliberately misleading statements come less readily:
1) I am not and never have been a 'pro' player, much less a 'very distinguished' one, I am an amateur.
Neither am I an
Quote:
english player

I am Welsh.
2) Contrary to your ridiculous allegation
Quote:
The top pros in London

certainly don't have lesons from me, why on earth should they when they are
Quote:
The top pros in London

if you make any more stupid allegations about me in any further postings I intend to register a formal complaint with the forum moderators.
Now be a good kid, turn off the computer and go play with your train set and doll's house. ;)
Yours cordially,
Allan Wolstencraft

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:55 am 

Ah a different Allan, calm down, tension is very bad for horn playing. Why so aggressive?
You are upsetting our American friends.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:48 am 

:cry: Thanks for the concern LFC. I'll be over it in a few days.

AW...I offer my apologies for not using proper grammar. When I asked "why the hostility" I meant to ask "why are your posts so hostile?", not "why not some more hostility?"

Last edited by Eric on Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:10 am 

It is sad that this thread had degenerated into personal, vitriolic remarks. I fear that two people have made themselves look ridiculuous - one by a cheap wind-up and the other from over-reacting to it.

Internet forums (and communication via the internet in general) encourage no subtlety of expression and unfortunately it is all too easy to get things out of proportion. A sense of humour is valuable, too.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:27 am 

For months this forum has been pleasant and informative. There has been some joking and jostling, all in good fun. I think that "over the line" aggressive behavior should be addressed. It is simply not appropriate on this site.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:08 am 

My apologies if my poor (cheap) remarks have caused upset. :oops:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next