horncups.com

PHC Horn Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:17 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: B flat slides
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:31 am 

LFC: I, for one, am perfectly fine with all you wrote. :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:21 pm 

now write out 100 times......

This does raise an interesting if nerdy point though. In MY experience, when tuning to a machine I often find I am sharp to the group I play in. Anyone got any theories on this ? I wonder if its got anything to do with overtones in the sound and what the machine latches onto. Probably wrong but you never know.

As for tuning up a horn, Jeff B told me to get top F in tune on the B flat horn which usually leads to a slightly sharp middle reg. Once that is done make sure that the low reg is where you want it on the F horn. In that way you have a top reg which is perfect a middle reg that is a hair sharp but manageable and a nice juicy low reg on the f horn.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:30 pm 

I have had the same experience of going sharp with the group. I have attributed it to a change of my demeanor, that I am just a bit more tense and anxious than when alone with my Korg.

BTW, I have one of those little clamp-on tuners that pick up directly from the horn, and it reads sharp in the group at the same slide positions where it reads dead-on in tune at home. That is why I think it is I, not a false reading.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:40 pm 

Quote:
"over the line" aggressive behavior should be addressed

Eric, it's all very well for you to say that but YOU haven't had a mischief-maker posting totally untrue remarks about you, your playing and your teaching.
I am not aggressive, I am hurt and upset and wondering what I have done wrong.
My previous posts (which were not aggressive or hostile at all) tried to reply to a few questions in what I thought was a perfectly reasonable way:
1) I tried to tell people how to find this new forum on Google,
2) I also suggested buying the new LHS CD directly from 'Cala', and
3) I suggested a way of avoiding a 'stuck' rim.
There was no 'hostility' except that I was a bit taken aback at someone's question 'is this forum better than the old one' to which I admit I retorted rather flippantly.
I can only now assume that it was a rhetorical question to which a plain answer of 'yes' or 'no' would have been judged contextually wrong in either instance!
I was also rather surprised by the thinly-disguised innuendos in TonyC's reply to one of my postings in which I asked about deleted postings:
Quote:
Paranoia?

and
Quote:
'Allan'? By the way, is that your house?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:05 pm 

That is quite interesting Eric and I DO actually mean that.

I would suggest it is because in the orchestra you give it far more stick than when you are playing mf long notes in front of the box. I find comparing notes on pitch with another player whose pitch you trust is perhaps a better way.

Jez

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:18 pm 

Allan, I really do not want to enter a 'tit for tat' debate. Please allow me to sincerely discuss what was over the line in my opinion. Examples:

"Now be a good kid, turn off the computer and go play with your train set and doll's house."

"I can only think that you must be one of the renegades from the 'bad old forum', the trouble-causers who were mostly responsible for that board having to be shut down and replaced by this one."

There was also the remark about a reasonable topic being "half-minded" or something of the sort. It is good to remember that all sorts of people read and post on this forum. Sometimes a question or comment is coming from a young student or an adult new to playing the horn. As such is the possibility, it is best to refrain from personal inuendo or insults. I dare speak for another here, but I think the sarcastic comment about your position in the "horn world" was an attempt to remind that one should not bully or put another down for a question or opinion. It is best for the sake of peace to adbide by the adage "There is no such thing as a stupid question." Perhaps it is childish to dwell on "who started it" but in my opinion, your posturing and comments in some, not all, postings were non sequitur in demeanor. I do agree with you that the majority of your comments were positive and constructive. That is why it was befuddling at least to me, why others were not. I think the best thing to do now is to set it all behind and move on. :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:20 pm 

Jeremy, I think we are in full agreement about that. I am always happier to sit downwind from the other horns so I can hear them better.

I read somewhere, perhaps on this forum, that more seasoned experienced players do not tend to go sharp. Is that something that just happens with experience, or is there a trick or technique to use? Any comments or advice?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:33 pm 

I think all this proves Observers point about the limitations of the internet when it comes
to "chat" We will all have to lighten up a bit, be a little less sensitive, take the best from
people and use our sense of humour even if we don't care for their turn of phrase.

This stuff is pretty mild compared to a lot of forums and unless people really start
heavy insults questioning parentage and the like...............!

If all this was pub banter, no one would bat an eyelid.

Love and kisses, you're all wonderful people, have a nice day now!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:39 pm 

Shalom! :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:30 am 

Playing sharp - -
Jeremy, ERic, et al.
I have studied and found that the human ear does not notice going sharp as soon or as easily as going flat. The studies I read showed musicians identifying notes that were flat to a given original pitch sooner (within cents) than they were able to do when the pitch was pushed sharp.

I have also found when playing Fanfare for the Common Man the horns and trumpets in less experienced groups are often as much as a whole step higher than they should be. When working with high school level students I find if I tell them that this is often the problem and remind them to stay down in pitch the piece comes off sounding quite nice on the first reading.

So I think experienced players have learned that we go sharp as we go higher and the experienced player tends to relax a little to avoid rising in pitch any more than needed.

I forget which one of you mentioned the tuning note in a group being higher than when you are alone. How very interesting. There have been a couple groups I have played with where the oboe player has intentionally recalibrated his tuner to be higher because he liked it better that way, and one who actually blatantly tuned 5 or 10 cents sharp. His reasoning was that eventually the group was climb there anyway so might as well get it out of the way. (His reasoning not mine).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next