horncups.com

PHC Horn Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: PHC 25MM
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:46 pm 

Hi
This past week, my teacher loaned me an old mouthpiece to try out, which I'm really enjoying. I've been playing on an Z21 with an AN rim for quite a while now, and I love the rim, but I want to try a different cup. One of the only cups my teacher had with metric threads is an older PHC cup (solid nickel) that is stamped "25MM." The cup looks pretty deep, like the 25 cup, but I can't find any information about the "MM" designation. Does anyone know what the letters mean?
Thanks in advance,

William Foss

Post subject: Re: PHC 25MM
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:27 pm 

'mm' ( I don't think those early PHC cups had upper-case letters like 'MM') means
millimetres.
Depth of cup ( without the rim) = 25 millimetres.
Maybe I'm wrong about this.... help, anybody, please?
:geek:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:18 am 

Sounds to me as if it's just a old version of the 25 cup.

The OP's Z21 is really quite a shallow cup, though it is the basis for the "First" PHC mouthpiece, as it provides a good starting point for players new to the horn. Many more advanced players, even if they are on high parts, will use a deeper cup, like a 22 or 23, in the interests of a broader sound.

Switching from a 21 to a 25 is quite a big change.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:27 pm 

So, the mm refers to the cup depth. That makes sense. I knew it would be something simple like that.
As far as switching from the 21 to the 25, I'm pretty surprised about it myself. I was able to borrow some cups, and got to try the 25, 23, and 21 right next to each other. The 21 and 25 worked the best for me, but the 23 just didn't sound or feel as good. Sort of a "Goldilocks and the Three Bears" situation.
Playing the 21, it did seem shallow sometimes, but getting the cups is a little expensive for me, so I stuck with it because I like the AN rim so much. Hopefully, the 25 that I have will continue to be a good mouthpiece for me. If nothing else, I plan on sticking with the rim.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:53 pm 

Quote:
Playing the 21, it did seem shallow sometimes, but getting the cups is a little expensive for me

A little EXPENSIVE?
Have you seen the prices of some of the ( less good!) USA mouthpieces:
Moosewood: $80-$95, cup only
Atkinson cup: similar
Atkinson rim: $50-$65
Giardinelli: $80, cup only
Stork: $75-$170, complete mouthpiece.

:!: :!: :!:

PHC cups start at $64
PHC rims $29 - $49
:D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:23 pm 
Site Admin

williamfoss wrote:
Hi
This past week, my teacher loaned me an old mouthpiece to try out, which I'm really enjoying. I've been playing on an Z21 with an AN rim for quite a while now, and I love the rim, but I want to try a different cup. One of the only cups my teacher had with metric threads is an older PHC cup (solid nickel) that is stamped "25MM." The cup looks pretty deep, like the 25 cup, but I can't find any information about the "MM" designation. Does anyone know what the letters mean?
Thanks in advance,

William Foss

When the Paxman-Halstead-Chidell mouthpieces were first sold we tried to indicate the cup depth, so the 25mm was 25mm deep and the 24mm cup was 24mm deep and so on. After some time we had introduced more cups and we realised that it was virtually impossible to give accurate indications of cup depths for all the range so we changed to calling them just plain "25" and "24" etc. The stamp was so small that they were hard to read as well. There you are, mystery solved.