horncups.com

PHC Horn Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:36 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: High/ Low & endurance
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:07 pm 

I had an experience at a gig last night that intrigues me (and which I don't want to repeat). Limited personnel meant that early in the programme I played the tuba part in a number, and enjoyed it. Then later felt my endurance somewhat compromised in higher range playing. I wondered if this was a consequence of my Tuba-ing, or perhaps it was just a result of a rather punishing arrangement of a film theme.

Any ideas?

Tom

Post subject: Re: High/ Low & endurance
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:59 pm 

Playing the tuba with a tuba mouthpiece would have been a nice change for your horn player's embouchure but would probably have affected your stamina on the horn. Has it recovered yet?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:32 pm 

Richard wrote:
Playing the tuba with a tuba mouthpiece would have been a nice change for your horn player's embouchure but would probably have affected your stamina on the horn. Has it recovered yet?

should have been more precise - I played the tuba part on the horn, not the tuba. So I am wondering if others find that seriously low playing compromises higher playing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:42 am 

I've found the opposite, that swapping between 1st and 4th is very helpful for pacing during heavy gigs, keeps everything nice and relaxed. 8-)
So, probably just the effects of the film arrangement. Hopefully all is well now?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:41 pm 

Paul wrote:
I've found the opposite, that swapping between 1st and 4th is very helpful for pacing during heavy gigs, keeps everything nice and relaxed. 8-)
So, probably just the effects of the film arrangement. Hopefully all is well now?

yes, things seem back to normal now - will look for reinforcments for band parts in future!