horncups.com

PHC Horn Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Short Tubes
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:27 am 

The Engelbert Schmid Triple may be an excellent horn to play but it looks absolutely
hellish like some futuristic nightmare - 7 valves for heavens sake.

Slippery slope - Siegfried/Welser-Most/Wiener Staatsoper/ Long call-Lars Stransky on an alto this year -Is nothing sacred?

The notes the notes the notes - what about the music?

Tuckwell quote "F altos are junk" - maybe not but they are at the wrong time - yes I
know he used them occasionally.

Trumpet players don't escape - piccolo trumpets should be outlawed from all but
baroque music - these guys play romantic/modern music on them and blow them
straight - sound like a lazer if there is a lazer sound - jazzers don't because it's the
wrong SOUND - they don't mind missing -the notes the notes the bloody notes!

Bruckner 4 VPO proms Tomboeck (long) Vienna Horn - bliss, and he didn't miss a note
all night but suppose he did -WHO CARES!

Rant over

Yours

Very grumpy old man............the notes the notes-----------I'll wake up soon...........
apologies for any offence.

Post subject: Re: Short Tubes
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:45 am 

Bravo bravo Chris, well said! :D :!: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:08 pm 

I say it's the player, not the instrument. I own a couple of cd's by John Cerminaro, who is known to be quite a fanatic supporter of triple horns, and his playing sounds absolutely amazing, if he wouldn't write in the booklet notes of the cd's he played on a triple, I wouldn't have known.

My own opinion on F-alto/Eb-alto horns: Why not? If it fits for a particular musical context what's the problem? A lot of players use these horns today, and the level of playing has never been higher. Of course I can understand why some people don't like them, something like the long call shouldn't be played on an F-alto imo, it just wouldn't sound risky enough.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:09 am 

I agree with all you say. Was feeling a bit purist yesterday. (crazy more like).

Still think the Schmid is an ugly fellow - Paxman triple much more tasteful design.

Just going to get the tenor horn out (should that not be alto horn?) Perhaps PiP would
like to play some duets!

Cheers :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:03 pm 

Played second to a guy playing a pile of Schmidt triple in an opera pit on Tannhäuser a few years back, it was like trying to tune to a truck horn. They produce a weedy hollow sound when you are sitting next to the blasted things. Maybe they sound nice in the hall... or maybe not...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:36 pm 

Last time I saw Tuckers with an F alto, he said it was an 'old man's horn'.
Well, I can vouch for that. By the way, does anyone have a fingering chart for the long Bb?

V. de F.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:26 am 

I have seen very few Schmid triples and I am not impressed with any aspect of them.
A local very good player here switch to a Sch. triple from his pre-letter Conn 8D. Again. I am not impressed.

I agree there is a place for certain horns. I don't like most f-altos as the sound does change, but there are some makers out there with large bore versions. I myslef am having a C single made on a large bore base. I don't think I will need a descant anymore. It cleans up very nice up above the staff and with a full sound. I'll met you know in April when it has been gone through and is completely finished.

I don't understand the previous post about a finger chart for a long Bb. Are you refering to a standard horn in Bb?