horncups.com

PHC Horn Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:16 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: VPO New Year Concert
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:56 am 

On all the Vienna Horns CDs Vienna Horns in F basso were used exclusively apart from
"The Queen of the Night" arrangement on "Lebenzeichen" CD where Lars Stransky uses
an alto to emulate the shrieking dervish!

A good player on a good wienerhorn is perfectly capable of playing as accurately "up
there" as on a b flat horn. That is not to say that they don't resort occasionally to
F altos when the need demands. There are no rules about this and it is surprising when
they will sometimes use them/not use them. One was used (staatsoper) recently to play
the Siegfried call, why I don't know, but sound wise, well not to my taste. Also one was
used in Shostakovich 5 in London about a year ago with less than accurate results -
again miss a note on an F Basso and you may well "get away" with it but miss on the
alto.............!

As a matter of fact they have always preferred to play the Konzertstuck on the F Basso
rather than anyone use an F alto - they reckon it's easier/better. They seldom
use a double but will use one for the peddle "E" at the beginning of Mahler 3 and the
Vienna Octet recording of the Spohr Octet was done (1st Horn) on a horn pitched in A.

We have Roland Berger to thank for the continuance of the F Horn. He was under the
heaviest of pressure from Karajan and Bohm in the sixties to change to doubles but he
refused to his everlasting credit for courage in the face of supreme adversity! His pupils
Jobstl and co. are proving today how right he was. What a section! Try and hear
Ronnie Janezic live playing Richard Strauss (before you die!) - staggering playing.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:50 am 

Quote:
the
Vienna Octet recording of the Spohr Octet was done (1st Horn) on a horn pitched in A.

Which one of the 2 Decca recordings?
The first one, in Mono, has the Marcel Poot Octet on it and to my ears the horn tone is far superior :) to the later Stereo one which is coupled with the beethoven Wind and Piano quintet. In the Beethoven slow movement Herr Veleba sounds like he's forgotten to put his F crook (E flat crook?) back in. Music pitched in the key of B flat minor isn't well served by an A crook.. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:25 am 

Don't try wind ups - I'm immune. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:05 pm 

I was lucky enough to hear the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra rehearsing recently. It was refreshing to see that the horns talked throughout the rehearsal.

Why don't we do that any more? Are we scared of being told off by someone senior to us, in the management for example?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:18 am 

Is it true that all members of the orchestra are paid £10,000 each for this concert whether they actually play in the concert or not? I do believe that is true even if the exact fee needs to be corrected.

We need updated information please.