horncups.com

PHC Horn Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:26 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Mahler 5 prom horns
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:22 pm 

Any one else listening to this tonight? Seriously incredible horn playing by the pricipal.

Looked him up but have never heard of him.

http://www.pittsburghsymphony.org/pghsy ... +Caballero

Last edited by rspearing57 on Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Mahler 5 prom horns
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:01 pm 

Well I though most of it was unmusical and shite.

Sounded like a blow your head off contest between the brass and horns & F**k the rest of you.

Like the searing pain you feel when you touch the iron, but through your ears: utterly dreadful.

Yes I certainly did hear it! :o

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:28 pm 

Come on, 'Wilf2' 'get real' hey?
it wasn't a life-enhancing public statement of global philosophy, for f##ks sake. it was a CONCERT in the horribly hot and uncomfortable ( for orchestral players) Royal Albert Hall.
Mr Caballero was BRAVE and ACCURATE with a dynamic range MUCH wider than any of our somewhat timid current London 1st horns.
OK OK, he has a SALARY and job-security and they have f-all...
but, there is NO WAY his playing was 'unmusical and shite'!

:twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:40 pm 

Quote:
Looked him up by have never heard of him.

If you have never heard of the great William Caballero then you are either 'brain dead' or an ignorant tw#t.
:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:55 pm 

gibb.e.risky wrote:
Quote:

If you have never heard of the great William Caballero then you are either 'brain dead' or an ignorant tw#t.
:lol:

Or a beginner with under one years experience! Shouldn't really expect to have heard of him really

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:06 pm 

Wilf2 wrote:

Sounded like a blow your head off contest between the brass and horns & F**k the rest of you.

Like the searing pain you feel when you touch the iron, but through your ears: utterly dreadful.

Wow I could not disagree with you more. I could understand why some might not favour the slightly brassier, edgier tone (Although it is more accurate to the Vienna horn sound that Mahler would have had in mind having spent time there)[Please feel free to challenge me on this btw everyone if I'm wrong here my knowledge is pretty limited] but the horn section's sense of musicality was simply outstanding! Cabalerro for me nailed every note of those solos to perfection...the pacing...attack and in particular the use of dynamics were all spot on. His interpretation of the solos in the 3rd movement out-class anything I've heard previously IMO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:21 pm 

WillDrawl wrote:
Mr Caballero was BRAVE and ACCURATE with a dynamic range MUCH wider than any of our somewhat timid current London 1st horns.

I think it's worth considering how distorted from reality the recordings can be as well. The volume of the horns is greatly enhanced by the broadcast, and in the hall itself the horns would not sound nearly as dominating. For example I was at the Rite of spring prom in July...which I later re-watched on tv, to find that there was a huge difference in intensity between the live and recorded experience. Also for me the tone of the horns sounds noticably softer and richer live, and in general for me it was a whole different listening experience.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:30 pm 

rspearing57 wrote:

It's just possible that William Caballero hasn't heard of you.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:01 pm 

Wilf2 wrote:

Are you an established 1st horn who plays Mahler 5 more 'tastefully', not so loud, positive and with a degree of care (risk averse) or are you a wannabe who think you are better than William Caballero or anyone else for that matter? Other people who heard that Prom don't seem to agree with you. You are an established 1st horn or you left college last year? Do tell.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:48 pm 

I didn't hear this performance, either live or broadcast, so will venture no opinion as to its tastefulness or otherwise.

However, I would defend the original poster's right to express an opinion, since we would all do well to remember that those of us who get paid to perform are not performing for an elite audience of professional 1st horns. We are performing for an audience of general music lovers who (indirectly) pay us. Their qualifications to judge a performance are the purchase of tickets, so it is their opinion which counts.