horncups.com

PHC Horn Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:34 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Wagner tuba mutes
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:22 am 

.....are expensive!

A while ago I read some thoughts on cheap alternatives. Following up on this the definitive cheap solution may be cork tile infill strips and double sided self adhesive Velcro.
Stick the Velcro in 3 equidistant locations round your mute (mine is an MB) Stick Velcro to the cork strips and hey presto in less than 10 minutes you have a very good quality WT mute. That presupposes you start with a good mute in the first place!
For less than £20 (from Homebase) I was able to make 4 multifunctional WT mutes for my set of tubas!
Gaffa tape can be used instead of Velcro........ now if I'd thought of this 35 years ago I might have won a Blue Peter badge! :D

As and addendum I would also like to mention the quality of the Chinese tubas I bought about 2 years ago. Better than any Alex I've played, in tune, nice sound, really can't go wrong for less than £1,100 (for the set!) delivered from China.

I did have the valves redone by Roy Cox and some extensions for the lead pipes (useful dependant of the mouthpiece used and player) but they are still amazing value....even at the latest prices of about £2,400 (the Chinese realised that resellers were making a fortune!)

Post subject: Re: Wagner tuba mutes
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:50 am 

I recently joined a small Facebook group "Chinese Wagner Tuben." A friendly, light-hearted batch of people. They convinced me to buy one of the Jinbao tuben. As an amateur player I do not think I will ever be required to play one in a serious setting, so I figured at that price, why not? I bought mine from a USA west coast dealer for $850.00. However, one of the group found a direct from China site that sells them for US $485.00. We are trying to talk him into making the buy.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 94634.html

I concur with Martin about the quality. The leadpipe of is at a miserable angle and gives me a sore neck. But it plays wonderfully, especially on the Bb side. It is a compensator that can be made to stand in Bb or F in under a minute. The big question is whether or not the China-direct site sells good instruments or if it might be an avenue for dumping off the seconds. Hoping that the fellow on Facebook offers himself up as a guinea pig. Join the group if you are interested and do Facebook! :)

Does anybody know how to put a bend in a PHC mouthpiece? I think that might solve the leadpipe problem, and I have an old 25 nickel one that would be perfect.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:26 pm 

http://eastop.net/classical-hornplaying/the-bent-mouthpiece/

:D :geek:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:49 pm 

Thanks Genialhorn! I am going to give it a go. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:19 pm 

It was a trial, but I managed to make a 10 degree bend in a 25 cup. I clamped the mouthpiece in a vise up to the point where the noticeable indentation is between the cup and the shank. It was no problem getting it to bend using a heavy rubber mallet. However, the shank was badly distorted from the stress. Next time, I would fill it with wax or pitch first, up to the point where I want the bend to occur. At first, the fit into the leadpipe was so bad I could feel the wind on my face when I played. I tried driving a tapered punch into the shank, then tapping. I ended up with a small split, which I had to saw off. I discovered that there was a slight curve all the way to the end, so I ended up having to grind it carefully with a slow, water lubricated wheel that I use for sharpening wood lathe tools. It took about half an hour of grinding an checking until it fit. Voila, no sore neck any more. Thanks Genial! :D (And Mr. Pip)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:47 pm 

Oh dear, I am sorry to say that Pip seems to make it sound 'too easy' on his website
http://eastop.net/classical-hornplaying ... outhpiece/

I too tried to bend my mouthpiece and in the end I needed the help of an expert 'brass repair-person'!
:roll: