horncups.com

PHC Horn Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:49 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Schmid triples
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:03 pm 

An advert has recently appeared on the hornplayer.net website for a Schmid F/Bb/Eb-alto triple and in the description the would-be-seller says "As much as any Schmid triple has ever had a usable low F side......this is one of them". Talk about damning his instrument with faint praise!

Anybody out there who has (or who has tried) a Schmid triple like to comment? Do the Eb-alto triples (with the longer leadpipes) have better low F sides than the F-alto triples?

Post subject: Re: Schmid triples
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:02 am 

What a deafening silence - looks like I'll just have to buy one of each and compare them myself if I'm ever going to learn the answer!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:25 am 

Or contact Englelbert Schmidt and found out if demonstrators for both will be available to test side by side sometime.
Perhaps this is planned for one of the regular instrument shows?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:35 am 

I've not played any type of Schmid (apart from a very brief blow on a double some years ago), but I'm wondering whether the question about the different leadpipe lengths on the triple horn designs is misplaced.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but surely the leadpipe length measured from mouthpiece receiver to (alto) change valve is irrelevant to the low F side, as in effect the taper of the leadpipe continues after the change valve - and this is what matters. So I'm not sure that the low F and Bb sides on an Eb triple "see" a longer leadpipe than on an F triple. Mind you, the different configurations might still affect the low F side in other ways.

I'm sure the only solution is to do the side-by-side test as already suggested.

It's off-topic to say so, but from what I gather the problem that some players find with Schmids in general is how much "presence" and carrying power they have in an orchestra; an acquaintance recently ditched his Schmid triple for that very reason.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:17 pm 

Unfortunately, I won't be able to get to the BHS Horn Festival next month but I wonder whether Schmid will be exhibiting there, anyway. He wasn't at the last one I went to (2011 at the ROH).

Reading Schmid's website descriptions of his 2 models of full triple horn, I wonder whether the subtly different wording acknowledges that there is some difference in quality between the low F side of the F-alto triple (".......a full sounding F horn") and the same side of the Eb-alto triple ("Full low F horn is good enough even for low horn players") in favour of the latter?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:10 am 

How much do Schmid triples sell for at the moment? I guess about £11,000 but am I wrong?