horncups.com

PHC Horn Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:22 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: PHC Stainless Steel Mouthpieces
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:36 am 
Site Admin

PHC can now offer stainless steel cups as well as the standard range of silver-plated brass PHC mouthpiece cups and, of course, PHC "Z" Cups, both standard cup and 'Heavy Cup'.

To order please contact Mike Bosley at Mike Bosley mikebosley@hotmail.co.uk

or Paxman

Paxman Musical Instruments Limited
Linton House, 164 -180 Union Street, London SE1 0LH, UK

Tel: +44 (0)20 7620 2077
Fax: +44 (0)20 7620 1688, Workshop: +44 (0)20 7620 1990

Registered in England No. 746437. Registered office as above.

The Horn Centre is open: Tuesday - Friday 9.30 - 17.30 and Saturday 10.00 - 17.00 info@paxman.co.uk

You can e-mail Mike Bosley at Mike Bosley mikebosley@hotmail.co.uk

Mike Bosley accepts returned mouthpieces bought direct from Mike if you should change your mind or decide to try another cup or rim for example.

The reviews of stainless steel and titanium tuba and trombone mouthpieces caught our eye at

8-) http://www.gwmouthpieces.com/testimonials.html .............so we just had to make some. The references to dynamic range were especially attractive. We want ppppp as well as fffff!

""Oh Man! - - I'll tell you already.....I used this mouthpiece last week on a quintet tour with my "pre-war" Alex. 6v. F tuba, the tone was more centered than ever and response was so much quicker, I found myself having to "hold back" on the amount of air needed to produce an initial response. Also - - - tonight with the Wichita Symphony using the same "Bora" mouthpiece on my 5/4 Rudy Meinl CC, doing Prok. Romeo and Juliette, the control of dynamics both loud and soft was unbelievable!! Able to "bury the orchestra or match the PPP soli w/ the basses" as needed - - what an AWESOME mouthpiece."

"Results are what I am after when searching for a mouthpiece. Clarity, sonority and richness of sound are obvious qualities that I find are present in this stainless steel mouthpiece. The high quality, engineering and workmanship that has gone into the development of this piece is exactly what I have been looking for. Air efficiency, reliability, accuracy and presence of sound in either a supporting bass line or for a solo line are all attributes found in (this mouthpiece). For extreme dynamics, flexibility of tone color and blending capabilities, this mouthpiece has all these features and more."

Don Harwood
Bass Trombonist
New York Philharmonic

Post subject: Re: PHC Stainless Steel Mouthpieces
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:46 pm 

Sounds very interesting.

What is the difference between the two - SS vs titanium ?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:02 pm 
Site Admin

We are hoping for feedback from horn players who attend the 2010 British Horn Festival in Edinburgh over the weekend of 30/31 October.

PHC intend to be there with stainless steel and titanium PHC cups for everyone to try.

It will be very interesting to hear what horn players think of these new PHC cups.

We already know that some horn players love PHC's stainless steel rims and others hate them. Nothing in between. It is mostly the feel of the rims which horn players like or hate. Recently we have discovered that some horn players like an unpolished stainless steel rim when they dislike a polished stainless steel rim. It's the old business of whether you like a shiny new rim or prefer a bit more grip from an older rim or an acetal rim for example. We have been testing away for a while, trying to get everything just right.

With PHC's stainless steel cups you will be able to use your usual rim, whether silver-plated, gold-plated or acetal giving you plenty of options.

We will have some other interesting things for you to try.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:58 pm 

TonyC wrote:
PHC can now offer stainless steel and titanium PHC cups as well as the standard range of silver-plated brass mouthpiece cups.

They are excellent. Tried a stainless steel one and now I want one.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:18 pm 

You may be out of luck'... my teacher has been waiting for some PHC stainless steel cups since November last year.
He now refers to them as 'messiah' cups, long-promised but never arriving!
:roll:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:11 pm 
Site Admin

Your teacher's faith has been rewarded. The first PHC ST (stainless steel) and titanium cups were on our display stand at the BHS over the weekend of 30/31 October at the Erskine Stewart’s Melville Schools’ Performing Arts Centre in Edinburgh, both to show them off and to guage reaction. As they were all sold we realised that they are at least as good as we were hoping.

Now, after a significant restructuring of the machinists where PHCs are all made, ST/stainless steel cups were being made in large numbers for the last two weeks. I have seen them and played on them (and the ST rims) and they are excellent.

The concept is a good one and by moving production to the most expensive (and fastest) CNC lathe in the factory we are able to make more mouthpieces and the finish is even better.

Surgical grade Stainless Steel is about three times harder than brass and has to be made with care. We decided to switch all PHC production to the new 'super lathe'.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:41 pm 
Site Admin

Quote City:

Stainless steel and titanium have unique playing characteristics that can out perform conventional materials such as brass. PHC ST mouthpieces are easier to play, provide better articulation, and project like no other mouthpiece.

Stainless steel will give you the most 'bang for your buck' and can give the horn player a huge improvement in endurance, range and sound.

Can I use PHC ST mouthpieces with any instrument?

PHC ST mouthpieces will fit any instrument. We are making E taper (Alexander taper) ST cups as well as standard UK and US taper cups. You will notice an immediate difference in your tone, articulations, and clarity of sound.

How does stainless steel feel in comparison to gold or silver mouthpieces??

Polished stainless steel is most like gold while satin stainless steel is most like silver.

Stainless steel is about 3 times harder than brass, there is no plating to wear out.

How often will I need to replate an ST mouthpiece?

PHC ST mouthpieces have no plating to wear through. You will never have to replate. They last forever!

If stainless steel and titanium are such good materials why doesn't every manufacturer use these materials for their mouthpieces??

Stainless steel and titanium are extremely difficult to machine.

Can you modify rims, and back bores on your current mouthpieces?

Yes, we can do this.

How long does it take to adjust to an ST mouthpiece?

You will notice a difference in your sound on your first note. If you record yourself and compare your playing with your other equipment you will adjust more quickly to ST mouthpieces. Most people work too hard on getting their sound simply to be heard.

How do I clean my ST mouthpiece?

Warm water and soap will keep them clean and ready to play.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:46 pm 

Quote:
Your teacher's faith has been rewarded

No, no, it definitely HASN'T!
He told me that he had received a personal phone call from the PHC mouthpeice workshop around the middle of November, asking him which PHC ST cups he wanted to try out.
He told them exactly, and then was informed that they would be delivered 'in a few days'. Hes' still waiting... :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:55 pm 
Site Admin

Tell him to email Mike Bosley at mikesmusicltd@hotmail.com and remind him of his order for ST cups.

My recent posting said "ST/stainless steel cups were being made in large numbers for the last two weeks." I didn't say that they had also been sent out so I suggest that he follows it up. OK?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:44 am 
Site Admin

Wenzelstich wrote:
You may be out of luck'... my teacher has been waiting for some PHC stainless steel cups since November last year.
He now refers to them as 'messiah' cups, long-promised but never arriving!
:roll:

Wenzelstich wrote:
Quote:
Your teacher's faith has been rewarded

No, no, it definitely HASN'T! He told me that he had received a personal phone call from the PHC mouthpeice workshop around the middle of November, asking him which PHC ST cups he wanted to try out. He told them exactly, and then was informed that they would be delivered 'in a few days'. Hes' still waiting... :roll:

If your teacher is who I think he is he should have received his stainless steel cups now with one ST 20AX on the way. Is this correct? We now have stocks of PHC Stainless Steel cups.