horncups.com

PHC Horn Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:22 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Putting a Schmid into "A"
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:09 pm 

Engelbert Schmid's website claims that the Bb sides of all Schmid horns can be raised a half-step to B-natural or lowered a half-step to A. I have tried this with a Schmid triple and have found no problem with the B-natural configuration (removing the "H" section from the main tuning slide does the trick).

However, try as I might, I can't persuade the horn to go down to A. I have pulled out both parts of the main tuning slide to their fullest extent and even pulled out the mouthpipe tuning bit as far as it will go and the horn is still nowhere near flat enough to play in A. Is this a recognised problem with any or all Schmids? Incidentally, this particular triple is of the Eb-alto variety and the tubing layout is rather different from that on the F-alto triple. Perhaps there's no problem on the F-alto triple?

The answer to the problem is, obviously, a having second much longer main tuning slide made just for playing in A, but it would be frustrating to have to have to resort to this.

Post subject: Re: Putting a Schmid into "A"
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:41 pm 

I am now able to answer my own question. The Schmid Eb-alto triple that I attempted to put into "A" was one which I had on trial and was thinking of buying, secondhand, from a well-known UK horn retailer. I decided against buying the horn. I have since discovered that the Bb main tuning slide was missing an "H" section. It should have had two "H" sections but only had one. The retailer hadn't told me this (probably due to ignorance). I have now bought an identical (secondhand) Schmid privately. Not only is this complete, but in much better condition and a lot cheaper!!

Post subject: Re: Putting a Schmid into "A"
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:29 pm 

Alepax wrote:
I am now able to answer my own question. The Schmid Eb-alto triple that I attempted to put into "A" was one which I had on trial and was thinking of buying, secondhand, from a well-known UK horn retailer. I decided against buying the horn. I have since discovered that the Bb main tuning slide was missing an "H" section. It should have had two "H" sections but only had one. The retailer hadn't told me this (probably due to ignorance). I have now bought an identical (secondhand) Schmid privately. Not only is this complete, but in much better condition and a lot cheaper!!

That is a success story. Buying privately is the old fashioned way of doing things and has worked in your case.

It's a shame to think that there are any 'ignorant' horn retailers out there.