horncups.com

PHC Horn Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Valve travel
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:10 pm 

Hi all,

Just had my Paxman 40 overhauled by Phil Neville in Derby. He is one hell of a good repairman! It came to light that although the marks on the valves lined up on the outside, when explored with a light down the valve tube were not aligned very well at all. Said horn is now acurately opening and closing the valve openings and now plays with more centre. Has anyone else discovered or had experience of this?

Take care Simon

Post subject: Re: Valve travel
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:44 pm 

YES!!!!!!!!!!
The valve rotors and bearing plates are usually marked while they are being made. They are only approximate. I use a boroscope to line them up. But boroscopes are expensive (luckily mine is tax deductible for work). If your bell comes off you can look down the tubes, if not a mirror and a light work well. It's takes a little whiel to get the hang, but what a difference in tone and accuracy!

John

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:39 am 

On my Alexander 107V, there are marks on the double change rotors themselves, just on the top edge which show where the ports are. When you insert them into the casings you can align them perfectly regardless of what the tell-tales on the bearing plate show. As it is impossible to see down the tubes for these valves, it's rather useful! Getting those double change valves lined up is important on such a horn.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:21 am 

Quote:
I use a boroscope to line them up. ...boroscopes are expensive

What is a boroscope?
How expensive?
Is it something that a good brass repairman ought to have as a matter of course?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:29 am 

Is it one of those things doctors use to inspect peopl's internal cavities? I think a mirror and light is a viable substitute.
Tom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:00 am 

I believe it's a borescope, engineers use them for looking at things in inaccessible
places. An endoscope is a flexible version for looking at your tummy! Yes they are
dear, you are into 4 figures. Correction I believe you can get cheaper ones but still
hundreds of pounds.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:11 am 

Borescope is the correct spelling (sorry about that). You can get a decent acceptable borescope for $116 USD.

The mirror trick works just fine, but if you are looking at horns everyday as a repairman I would think $100 bucks (USD) would be worth while. It saves a lot of time aligning things - you have a picture right there and you don't have to keep adjusting the mirror. It easily cuts your time down. It will probably allow you to do the same job in about 30% (or less) of your normal time.

The one we use at my work is very expensive but goes places you don't need to go with the Horn; so it's a bit overkill for working with horns. But smaller ones will do just fine, $100. Again, as a repairman you can look at the gunk, build up, scratches, and other conditions of the valves without having to take them out.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:26 am 

[quote="Just had my Paxman 40 overhauled by Phil Neville in Derby. "

Amazing what these Everton footballers do in their spare time!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:27 am 

Wasn't Ifor James a pro footballer at one time?