horncups.com

PHC Horn Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: sore
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:30 am 

Hello,

The prospect of five nights of Les Mis last week made me worry my lip wouldn't hold out - but though tired, it was fine (must be doing something right). But, by the end of the week the skin of my lips was quite sore, feeling curiously stiff and un-supple. This is passing off slowly, but I have never experienced it before and wonder how to avoid it. Oddly, it affects only the portions of the lip not inside the mouthpiece, where they press together.

Any ideas?

Tom

Post subject: Re: sore
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:24 am 

I read a study recently that suggested an anti-inflamatory regimine when playing heavy concerts or lots more than normal.

In a nutshell the author suggested a light massage of the lip(s) muscle(s) before and after playing. She also suggested refraining from alcohol and increasing water intake.

I suffered a severe injury several years ago. Now and then I get flare ups at and around my spinal vertebrae. My physical therapist and physician have suggested a maintenance routine of 250mg of Advil in the morning and evening for 10 days (regardless of when I think I feel better). It is important to keep the swelling down for 10 days straight. You might try a similar anti-inflamatory routine to keep the lips from swelling from so much unexpected playing on their part. Perhaps ice them when you get home.

You want to keep swelling down (Advil, and ice) and you want to keep a good oxygen flow (so a good warm-up, a light massage to get the lactic acid or whatever it is out and fresh blood with fresh oxygen in).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:00 am 

Quote:
maintenance routine of 250mg of Advil in the morning and evening for 10 days

What is Advil? :?:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:22 am 

My horn playing physician friend recommended Ibuprofen for its anti inflammatory properties and I took it last week to avoid too much inflammation of the muscles. The problem i have had is with the skin though, not the muscles (or teeth!). As I mentioned, mainly either side of the buzz, and more on the bottom than the top. I wonder if an allergy may be responsible... Once they are better, I'll try my acetal rim for a bit.

tom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:33 am 

Genialhorn: Advil=Ibuprofen It is a brand name.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:29 pm 

I generally find that a good soaking in beer with liberal amounts of garlic invariably does the trick!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:04 pm 

There's Cyril - Yee-Haaw.
Personally this week for me has been bourbons. I think it helps give that slightly lower center of pitch that just carries so well. Beer lately has been making me sound kind of tubby.

Perhaps on Easter day it will be Gin to help the higher descant passages speak out better.

Hmmm, there's a concept. Which poisins with which horns for which pieces of music.?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:06 am 

This is a 'serious' post: :geek:
Genuine, original 'Plymouth' Gin many years ago used to contain an ingredient that reduced lip swelling.
Sadly, it was not effective when the gin was imbibed, :roll: but when dabbed on and around the lips.
I used to find it helpful on several occasions. :D
Something labelled Plymouth GIn is still available in the shops but I'm told it isn't the same as the old formula from about 25 years ago. What a pity.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:42 pm 

Is that the 'navy gin' made in plymouth? I was speaking to an acquiantance of mine who had been in Plymouth on business recently and she (from a naval family) had taken the opportunity to go on a tour round the Plymouth naval gin distillery. She particularly enjoyed the tasting session - but not being a horn player made no mention of its effect on swollen lips. Apparently, it is fiercely strong and the navy required it so because above a certain alcohol content it could be spilt on gunpowder without affecting the performance of the explosive.

Tom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:54 pm 

Great for sforzandi then! :D