horncups.com

PHC Horn Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:23 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Are stopping valves for wimps?
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:12 am 

Recently, in response to an advertisement on a horn dealer's Facebook page for a double horn with a stopping valve, someone asked why anybody would need a stopping valve when the horn had an F side. Perhaps the commentator was being naive, but I suspect he was suggesting that use of a stopping valve was "cheating".

It is all very well using the F side to handstop - up to a point. It is fine if you're not called upon to play anything too high or too technically demanding. A couple of examples. Mahler asks for top "A"s handstopped in the last mvt of his 1st Symphony and a top "Bb" in the first mvt of his 2nd Symphony. These would be treacherous played on the F side. Then there is the 2 bar chromatic descending semiquaver passage in the third mvt of the 2nd Symphony. Much easier if you have a stopping valve - just put your thumb down and play the notes as printed with normal Bb fingering. No thinking about transposing AND trying to recall F horn fingering at speed.

Luckily I have a choice of instruments. Even when playing a 4-valve double I will sometimes handstop on the Bb side using "trick" (i.e. flat) fingerings where needed for better intonation.

Should I be ashamed of myself for not handstopping everything on the F horn?!

Post subject: Re: Are stopping valves for wimps?
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 6:49 pm 

"Should I be ashamed of myself for not handstopping everything on the F horn?!"

I think not.

If it works, it works. Can anyone distinguish between your stopped notes on the F and the Bb sides? Probably not. From the audience, definitely not.

And what about low stopped notes? Is it "cheating" to use a stopping mute?

Is it "cheating" for me to use the F alto side of my triple (sometimes) to play above the stave?

Post subject: Re: Are stopping valves for wimps?
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:06 am 

Thanks - that's what I was hoping to hear.

I'm glad you also raised the issue of stopping mutes. Very handy where composers inconsiderately write for handstopped horn in the low register. Sibelius was a bugger for doing that (e.g. Violin Concerto and, if I remember correctly, 2nd Symphony). Possibly the worst example is in the last mvt of Tchaikovsky's 6th Symphony where 2nd and 4th Hns, having handstopped a ffC# immediately below the stave then have to do likewise an octave lower. Hats off to anybody who can play that lower note ffwithout a stopping mute - I know I can't!