horncups.com

PHC Horn Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:09 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: PHC Stainless Steel Mouthpieces
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:52 pm 

yes, I am VERY happy to say that I received the PHC stainless steel (ST) cups about a week ago.
I am EVEN HAPPIER to say that they are - in a word - awesome!
What I notice so far is
1) a really 'solid' and 'in the centre' feel with a sense of almost 'unmissability' to the attacks ( I hate that word 'attacks' as it is somehow 'confrontational' - shall I substitute the phrase 'tone production')
2) A very wide dynamic range, dare I say it, superior to that of the Z cups?
3) A 'fluidity' in legato playing, meaning, it's easy to move away from a pitch, although, wonderfully, the high pitches are very 'locked in place'.

These superb cups were DEFINITELY worth waiting for!
:D

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:51 pm 

Very interesting! How does the character of the sound compare to using the normal silver-plated brass cups and/or the older nickel-brass cups?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:40 pm 
Site Admin

Very direct and clear. Couldn't be better and easy to play. I haven't found anyone who doesn't like them (a lot) yet.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:50 pm 

I'm thinking that maybe the only way to obtain an 'E' taper is to buy a stainless steel cup - I'm currently using a 22A heavy cup, which I like - are the stainless steel cups similarly 'heavy'? that is, do they weigh much the same (even if they aren't as think) dues to the density of steel?

Anyone else been able to try the European taper on a European instrument like the 103?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:13 pm 
Site Admin

dingbats wrote:
I'm thinking that maybe the only way to obtain an 'E' taper is to buy a stainless steel cup - I'm currently using a 22A heavy cup, which I like - are the stainless steel cups similarly 'heavy'? that is, do they weigh much the same (even if they aren't as think) dues to the density of steel?

Anyone else been able to try the European taper on a European instrument like the 103?

PHC's Stainless Steel cups are all in the Heavy Cup shape, including the E taper cups which have two rings around the base of the cup to make it clear that they are E taper and designed for Alexander mouthpipe tapers.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:50 pm 

TonyC wrote:

I switched from 23A standard cup to 23A Z E taper on my 103 a while back. (Mentioned on another thread, I think about a year ago?)
The effect was amazing: everything just felt easier, in tune without effort, so I realised how much work I had been putting in to bend notes into place. The top range suddenly had much more clearly defined slots - much more significant effect than I expected.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:56 pm 
Site Admin

dingbats wrote:
I'm thinking that maybe the only way to obtain an 'E' taper is to buy a stainless steel cup - I'm currently using a 22A heavy cup, which I like

Paxman have just taken delivery of an order of PHC "Z" E taper cups which are standard cups, not Heavy Cups.

They have PHC-21A Z European Taper X2, PHC-22Z European Taper X3, PHC-Z22A European Taper X4, PHC-Z23 European Taper X3, PHC-Z23A European Taper X5, all standard shape cups.

Plus: PHC-21 Cup Stainless Steel X1, PHC-23A Cup Stainless Steel X1, PHC-21 Cup Stainless Steel X1, PHC-21A Cup Stainless Steel X1, PHC-23A E Cup Stainless Steel European Taper X1.

So there is one PHC-23A E Cup Stainless Steel E Taper available, unless it was pre-ordered which is probably the way these cups have been ordered. We were slow to deliver so some players bought them direct from us online. Mike is away on holiday so this probably won't work until he gets back in a week or two.

Contact Paxman and you could be in luck.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:55 pm 
Site Admin

Paxman have good stocks of PHC now and sometimes forget that they have a demo set of ST stainless steel cups and rims in the shop. PHC are hoping to install a display case in Paxman's showroom with every PHC cup and rim, in all finishes, on show and available to try.

Demand for Bronze PHC cups has promted us into making another batch and finally, if you want a PHC Stainless Steel cup without having to wait, you can always go direct to our online page at

PHC 'First' one piece mouthpieces are also available there for £29.95 plus shipping.

Discounts for PHC 'First' one piece mouthpieces are

From 4 items: £ 20.00 (33.22% discount)

From 10 items: £ 18.00 (39.9% discount)

For more information please see the leaflet at

http://horncups.com/PHC%20First%20leaflet.pdf

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:44 pm 
Site Admin

TonyC wrote:
Tell him to email Mike Bosley at Mike Bosley mikebosley@hotmail.co.uk and remind him of his order for ST cups.

My recent posting said "ST/stainless steel cups were being made in large numbers for the last two weeks." I didn't say that they had also been sent out so I suggest that he follows it up. OK?