horncups.com

PHC Horn Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:47 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Heart Attack
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:31 am 

Hi All,

I recently suffered a heart attack.

Having had a stent fitted I feel bionic. The consultant does'nt seem to be able to offer any advice on how to keep playing during rehab etc.

Does any one have any experience of this? And also the effects the drugs may be having on the chops.

Any suggested exercises etc greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Post subject: Re: Heart Attack
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:17 pm 

I'm afraid I can't offer any direct advice based on experience.

I found much the same lack of help in rehabilitating myself after hernia repair surgery. I came to the conclusion that, unless you are fortunate enough to have a surgeon with an interest in musical performance, you won't get much help.

My own approach was to read up online about exercises, treating horn-playing as a "strenuous activity" to be worked towards.

I don't know enough about recovery from heart problems to say if that approach would work for you. It seems to me that horn-playing after surgery is not in itself very strenuous (unless you have had surgery to the abdominal wall, as I did, or open-chest surgery).

A friend of mine played the horn for many years after heart surgery.

As for the side-effects of your medication, I guess you can look that up and suggest to your GP that it's changed if you're having problems. I can imagine that anything that functions as a muscle relaxant might not be a good thing for your embouchure.

Finally, allow me to wish you all the best for a good recovery.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:27 pm 

Many thanks for the swift response.

A lot of it is common sense I guess.

I am using the Michael Thompson warm up exercises, and not going above G.

It was terrible at firs, but is coming together.

Maybe I will write something up on my experiences after I am back to full force.

One thing I can say is the pressure relieved after the stent, has made my whole abdomen more relaxed.

Watch this space...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:57 pm 
Site Admin

Chris2 wrote:
Hi All,

Having had a stent fitted I feel bionic. The consultant does'nt seem to be able to offer any advice on how to keep playing during rehab etc.

Does any one have any experience of this? And also the effects the drugs may be having on the chops.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:56 pm 

Hi Everyone,

I realise this may not be a current topic for most, but I wanted to update you all on my experiences 6 weeks on from the dreaded Heart Attack.

So, prior to this happening, I had been to the Dr complaining of clenched jaw, and ear ache. The jaw thing was compressing the Y tube in my ear. This was put down to stress.

On top of this, I had a very restricted chest, and couldn't breath deeply, like we all need too. Even tying my shoe laces was an effort. I put it down to being older, and a little fatter.......

All my blood pressure and cholesterol levels were considered normal, or average. no concerns from the boffins.

Having now had the heart attack and a stent fitted, I am please to say all is looking good on the physical side.

Horn playing wise, as things were tightening up, my playing technique was changing. I was convinced my beautiful model 90 was leaking, and also got into the constant mouthpiece changing puzzle.

So now they have fixed me, I am totally relaxed. But can only play up to Ab above the line comfortably. Slack chops I guess..Mainly I am using the Farkas warm to keep flexible, without exceeding Ab

The drugs are inhibiting a lot of things, but I will get used to them. The tiredness is a result of the HA, and will also wear off.

I am writing this to help anyone else that finds themselves in my situation. When I looked on line, the only musicians I could find who had this affliction were bagpipe players!

So if anyone wants to add comments please do. I will be updating you as things progress.

VBR

Hornwizard

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:53 am 

I'm delighted you're making progress; I was sure you would.

"...can only play up to Ab above the line comfortably." Hm... isn't anything above the stave an increasingly big effort?

I had heard that people who have had a heart attack are likely to feel tired for some while afterwards, but it will improve. Our neighbour across the road is still getting back to full fitness after a heart attack last summer; she has been recommended to do quite strenuous keep-fit sessions and lots of walking. She does still get quite tired.

Happy New Year! May 2018 be a healthy and prosperous one for you!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:00 pm 

Observer wrote:
I'm delighted you're making progress; I was sure you would.

"...can only play up to Ab above the line comfortably." Hm... isn't anything above the stave an increasingly big effort?

I had heard that people who have had a heart attack are likely to feel tired for some while afterwards, but it will improve. Our neighbour across the road is still getting back to full fitness after a heart attack last summer; she has been recommended to do quite strenuous keep-fit sessions and lots of walking. She does still get quite tired.

Happy New Year! May 2018 be a healthy and prosperous one for you!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:02 pm 

I start my fitness rehab tomorrow.

The Ab is with no strain, pressure. How ever there are no notes at all after that! Very odd.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:38 am 
Site Admin

Chris2 wrote:
Hi All,

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:33 pm 
Site Admin

Chris2 wrote:
Hi All,

Cheers