horncups.com

PHC Horn Forum
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:09 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: PAXMAN model 40M for sale: £2,100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:57 pm 

Paxman haven't listed any variety of single horn in their catalogues for many years. They used to list the 4-valve Model 10 (Bb with A>+) and 5-valve Model 11 (Bb with A>+ valve and built-in F extn). I have examples of each horn dating from the late 1970s and they play beautifully. With the newer of my Model 10s, the detachable F extension (with a reversible manual rotary tap section enabling a switch between either A and F or + and F) is positioned behind the row of valve slides, as opposed to running down across the front of them as per the Alex Model 90, making for a more compact configuration and better accessibility to the valve-slides.

I wonder why Paxman stopped making single horns. Probably because they seem to have gone out of fashion in recent years, at least in the UK. Anybody who wants a horn with the convenience of a stopping valve probably now goes for a Bb/F-alto (or Bb/Eb-alto) for the added security of the alto side for those "special moments". Playing a single Bb horn can be fun, though - nice lightweight instrument and light, fast single-storey valves. Also, fewer places for the water to hide!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:18 pm 

No, I don't think it is a regular offer from Paxman any more - my horn is from 1978. I did ask them for an insurance valuation of it when I got it and they suggested they could make one for a fee. If you are serious about acquiring one, I would talk to a good custom maker - it would not be a complex instrument to produce.

In the light of this exchage I got my Paxman out the other day; I don't use it regularly. I was struck by how different it is from my regular double horn. It is much more free blowing, as one would expect, as well as having a wide-slotted quality. I actually found it quite difficult to adjust to it - it has been some time since I played it and I was at the end of a long session playing my regular instrument.

Tom

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:43 pm 

Finke makes a Single Bb horn right now. And I think it is on the large bore side at 12mm. You can get it straight with 3 valves, or add a stopping valve, accesory valve, and/or C valve.

I would be careful of having one made by just anyone. You don't want to just swap a double horn leadpipe over to the single horn, nor can you use a single F leadpipe.To sound fabulous there is a lot of math, layout, placement, and taper design that goes into it. You really need someone who understand these things and understands what you want. Also, do you want the tapers to favor the C side of your horn or the Bb side of your horn? What side do you want to be more conical; do you want a C ascending valve or not?

I had mine made to match my Conn 8D sound. So I can use this horn and still sound like I am playing my standard instrument. It took many months of play testing and tweaking. Probably 8 to 10 months to put together and then play test it and tweak it, then play test it in actual performing conditions and tweak it. Luckily I get along with the maker very well so he was on top of it always as though it was his own horn.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:38 pm 

Which of the excellent US makers made it for you John?

Tom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:29 am 

my horn was made by an individual, not a manufacturer.

An excellent repair person on the East coast. He doesn't only repair but he can fabricate what is needed to do a proper repair. Makes his own screws, bearings, caps, whatever is needed to do it right. I originally wanted him to make a low F extension for my Paxman 40M, but then after talking I found he made a descant on an 8D body. I loved the idea and flew out from California to play the horn. It performs great and sounds like a Conn double up in the high register. While there he had recently completed this large bore single Bb (w/ascending C). I kept fiding myself picking up this horn. So, finally I asked him to make me the single horn before the making the descant horn.

If you want a single Bb-C and have an older horn (Bb single or double horn) that you want converted he can do it. If you want to see pictures let me know. If it is something you really want to do I can hook you up with him.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:51 am 

Quote:
an 8D alto

You can buy a 'Descant' or as you put it 'alto' horn made by Conn without having to pay mega-money for a custom horn.
it's called the 12D and has been advocated or recommended by USA players such as Jim Thatcher and Richard Todd. My informants tell me that Mr Halstead was one of the design consultants.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:10 am 

The Conn 12D is a piece of rubbish. :twisted: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:49 pm 

I've never played one, but gather it, like the Holton double descant, is based on the first Paxman descant design. It is possible that because of the cost constraints that are likely to operate in an operation such as Conn, it will have been designed round existing components. Whether this compromises its performance I couldn't say, but it is a possibility.

I was under the impression that 'Johnlovemusic' has a Bb/C horn, not a descant exactly but on the way there, and that it has an 8D sized bell.

tom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:27 am 

Conn 12D's and my horns.

I spoke with Mr. Halstead some time ago about descant horns and I think it will be okay to relate this little story.
Mr. Halstead had a neighbor who worked with Conn for many years. This neighbor also was a fairly good horn player. And each year he would play the newest designs. For many years, Mr. Halstead said there was always much needed improvement in the instrument (12D). Until recently, he now beleives they have gotten much of the design taken care of. He does not think it is par with a Paxman or Schmid, but he does believe it is a good entry level professional horn for the price. (That's a paraphrase not an exact quote).

here is the equipment I use:
I have a 1959 Conn 6D I use for Woodwind Quintets.
I have a 1962 Conn 8D which is my primary horn.
I have a 1971 Paxman 40M (Descant Bb/A - falto)with a 2nd generation merewether valve.
And I have my new Bb single with an Ascending C valve.

The Bb Single is not an alto or descant horn. It is standard Bb. But because it is not on the double horn it is not compromised. The leadpipe and bell are exactly like the Conn 8D tapers of the time (Elkhart Time). The bore is .468. Lots of math went into the tapers and tubing. I have lots of options with it. By using the thumb levers I can adjust resistance (C is completely conical and speaks very easily at very soft dynamics). The second thumb lever allows me to place the horn in B or Bb. With extra tubing(crooks if you will - none is larger than your typical 1st valve slide) I can also place the horn in A, Ab, or G. Oh, and the stopped valve of course.
Since it's a sinlge it is lighter and I find that assists in the ability to play higher easier, but it still blends very well with the Conns I play with . I really like being able to pick a differnet key so I can avoid difficult twisted fingerings. Here's agood example; I'm doing a piece right now where I have to come in on a D,second line treble clef really softly with a flute. On my Conn it's difficult. With my single I can thow the horn in C and the note practically plays itself and ever so softly too.

Someone asked what it cost. I would guess about $4500 if you used new parts. But I can't truly say as this is a type of proto-type and we bartered for the parts and labor. The workmanship is fantastic. It is a very well balanced horn and I am playing it whenever I get the chance.

I also believe Finke is making a Single Bb similar to mine. It is a .468 bore also. Check out their site.